cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, Media set issues

sms1
Level 3
Hello all,

I have 3 Media sets, how would I lock the media into the set?  The issue I have is that media that I put to media set 1 while backup jobs are running will pull media from media set 1 and then place it into media set 2 automatically even though there is media in media set 2 with free space.  In the end my media that was in set 1 has now been moved into media set 2 with different overwrte/append rules.
8 REPLIES 8

jchien
Level 2

Search this if you are using the Robotic Libraries.

"Backup Exec 12 and Multi-Slot Robotic Tape Libraries"

rblumenthal0
Level 4
i have 4 media sets, and when i drag a tape from scratch media into a media set it doesnt move to another set. are you setting the media set this way?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
What option is selected?
 under tools | option | Media management  >>>overwrite scartch media or recycleable media option is selected .

sms1
Level 3

Thanks for your response, Over write scratch media is selected

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Switch it to overwrite recycleable media  i think that should take for the problem . Also make sure  the under tools | option | Media management  the protection level is not set to NONE

sms1
Level 3
I move the media into the set I would like but its during the backup process where the backup should only go to media set 2 and 3 but I find that it will sometimes grab a tape in media set 1 then use that tape and when finished the tape that was listed as media set 1 is now listed as media set 2. 

sms1
Level 3
Thanks for the information, I did locate, About robotic libraries information which it states:

"Rather than targeting a backup job to a specific group of slots with a finite number of media, Backup Exec accesses all of the media in the robotic library and uses media that belongs to the job’s targeted media set. If the backup job exceeds the capacity of one piece of media, Backup Exec searches all media contained in the robotic library, finds a suitable media, and uses it for the job."

I had well over enough space in media set 2 that it should not have grabbed from media set 1 then converted to media set 2 when finished.  I was looking for a way that maybe I could lock the media sets and never allow that to occur.

sms1
Level 3
Thanks, I will try that and see how it runs.