cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Slow backup times only on File server (BE 2010 R2).

Gonzouk
Level 4

Hello,

I'm need of some help here, we have a Windows 2008 R2 file server with 4 partitions.  Each partition has around 1.5TB of user data to backup.  At the weekend I do a full backup and each partiton use to take 25 hours to backup to tape as we have a LTO 3 (2 drives) and LTO 4 (4 drives) drive attached to the server.  Since the start of Feb 2011 2 partitons out of the 4 are now taking 50 hours to backup and around 600mb per minute when they use to be around 1500mb per minute!  No other jobs are running at this time apart from these 4.

The backup server is Backup Exec 2010 R2 on WIndows 2008 R2 64 bit like the file server.  The 4 partitions are on a Dell Equallogic SAN.

Way would these 2 partitions start to backup slowing as the were once fast?  I can't look at the properties of the job at them moment as they are running, but can options like "Advance Open File" slow things down?  Is there a better way to backup these drives as they are on a SAN?  

I'm desparate for ideas!

3 REPLIES 3

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You mentioned that this started happening from Feb 2011. I think the SP1 was released somewhere at the end of January 2011.

So the possibility could be that the Backup Exec 2010 R2 is updated to SP1 but your Remote Agent on the remote server is not updated.

So please check if SP1 of BE 2010 R2 is installed or not (if its not installed then run Live Updates and install it as its recommended)

Then push install the Remote Agent so as to update the remote agent also.

Thanks,

-Sush... 

Gonzouk
Level 4

Hello,

Already running SP1 and pushed this out last week, so everything is the latest.  I even rebooted the file server (VMware server) to see if that would help but I get the same issue and it is always the same 2 partitions out of the 4.

Matthew_Frahm
Level 3

Are you using Advanced Disk-Based Option?  I've actually noticed with my 2008 R2/Backup Exec 2010 envirionment backing up EqualLogic storage that I'm getting faster results (2x, sometimes) if I turn off ADBO.  No clue why... my storage network is pretty simple.  Delayed ack disabled, jumbo frames enabled from end to end.