Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me about backup data using Backup Exec 12 with Tape Library Dell TL2000

quangtm
Level 3
Partner
Hi everybody !
I'm the newbie of using Backup Exec, I have a Tape library (DELL TL2000) and wanna use backup exec to backup some data on my computer to some media (may be 2 to 5 media) for testing purpose.
I use the Symantec driver for the Robot library device and install backup exec 11 on a TEST server running windows server 2003 SP2. The libary connected to the server via the SCSI cable and the media for test is IBM LTO Ultrium 3
1. I created a media set named "TestSet" and set overwritten protect period to 0 hour and append period to 0 hour
2. I insert 1 media to the library and Labeling it to "Media01" (this progress is complete successfully)
3. I create abackup job --> select the data to be backed up --> select the Destination as below :
    Device (my library)
    Media set (TestSet)
4. I run the job....
After the job run for 1 minute, I use the control on the library to view the status of the drive and see that the status is writting. At this time the "Job rate" drop from 20MB/s to 1 and to 0MB/s...about 5 minutes later the i receive the warning message said that the device\scsi\sym... doesnot reponse within the timeout period and after that is an error messeage say that the job was failed.

I created partition, choose another backup method or let the default setting to backup. But the results are the same.

I need help from everybody ! I just want use backup exec to backup data to one media for testing !

Help me......!!!!!

Thanks in advance ! 
6 REPLIES 6

quangtm
Level 3
Partner
Please show me the step-by-step to complete my test.

Thanks again !

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

A couple of questions:

1. What card is the library attached too? Onboard SCSI/RAID, stand-alone SCSI, or stand-alone RAID? If it's attached to a RAID card, I'd strongly suggest moving it to its own SCSI card. This means less competition with disks for example.
2. Are you using the Symantec drivers? If not, load them from from Backup Exec itself. This is 1 of the fastest ways to troubleshoot.
3. Is Removable Storage disabled? BE doesn't run well with Removable Storage enabled. I've had similar problems before and had to stop RS.
4. Are you using the latest device drivers for BE? If not, you can get them from the Symantec support website.

Your steps look normal...nothing to change there.

Ktendolkar
Level 3
Partner
HI,

1) Update SCSI card drivers.
2) Update SCSI card firmware
3) Confirm SCSI card is not a RAID contoller.
4) Make default settings in SCSI Bios.
5) Disable Removable Storage service.
6) Also contact Dell and try to update firmware.

Please let me know any quereis.

Regards
KT

quangtm
Level 3
Partner
Thanks everybody !
From your helps, the backup job is now run smoothly !
But I still have another problem with the restore job.
I created a restore job carefully and run it and receive this the bad result
  The job run for 2 minutes and restored 30-50 percent of data and then stopped...after 10 minutes it's timed out. And 3 minutes later I receive an error message said that the "Restore job has been failed because the data that read from the media are inconsistent".

Please help me to fix this problem
Thank in advance !

QuangTM

quangtm
Level 3
Partner
Additional info :
I cannot complete the backup job with "Verify after backup completes". After the backup progress completed and verify progress begin and the backup exec stopped...until the timeout :((

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
...any error code?