cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, new to B2D

chipflyer
Level 2

I want to back up a single server with a full on Friday and differentials M-Thurs.  I am having trouble wrapping my mind around the whole B2D file/folder structure.  The server I want to backup has just a 15Gb C; drive and doesn't change a lot during the week but it does change.  I want to keep 2 weeks worth of fulls and diffs and then overwrite.  It will be a remote job that backs up to a media server with a large local msa so space isn't a big deal.

1-For best results what should my backup to disk file size be?

2- What should my backup sets per backup-to-disk file  be set at?

3 Should I use different folders for full and diff backups or does it even matter?

I would appreciate any guidence,

Thank you

Jeff

2 REPLIES 2

Barb_Grajewski
Level 4

welcome to the club.

I don't understand why no one can take a minute and explain this concept in plain English.  Either it's so simple we're being ignored out of embarassment for us, or it's so inscrutable that no one actually knows how it works, and thus can't explain it to us.  

My best guess is that if your backups are running about 15Gb , you want to create backup disks that allow for a little expansion, like maybe 20Gb, and as many as your device will hold.  I'm still not quite sure how to handle full backups vs. differentials, but my assumption would be that you'd set up different folders.  I found I can only get one folder per removable disk, with many B2D files per folder.

but this is only a guess, since I can't get an answer out of anyone, short of "see page xxx in the manual".  I'm all about RTFM, but in this case, the documentation is, well, um, not especially helpful. 

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

1)  A smaller BKF file size will use disk space more efficiently (less wasted space in the last BKF file of a set) but a larger size will probably increase throughput (fewer pauses to close a file and open a new one).

I'd leave it at the default 4GB unless you can come up with a reaspn to change it.  Let backupExec keep track of what physical disc a given BKF file is on

2)  All of the data for a give resource (share, database, Exchange Store) in a multiresource job is considered a "backup set".  If you have multiple resources in a given job (ands who doesn't Smiley Wink ) and and you have selected only one, then when each resource is finished, any remaining space in that BKF file is wasted, on the other hand if you have large BKF file sizes and small one off type job going to it, the over write date for the whole file is reset after each job, so you may have "unused" space sitting and not available for overwrite

I usually leave it at the default  (100)

3)  You can use different B2D folders, but since you rely on BackupExec to manage all your BKF files anyway, you could set up one folder per physical device.  As long as you use different Media Sets for different job, some space can be released while other space stays protected

there have been several posts about BackupExec not spanning to different B2D devices if one fills up, so consider that when deciding on media set expiration dates