cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help uppgrading from Backup Exec 2010 R2 to 2012

Bad_Baboon
Level 2

Hi,

I have Backup Exec 2010 R2 installed on a Vitrual Machine and have 5 agents installed on other virtual machines.

For different reasons I want to install an new virtual machine and install BE 2012 on it. The Symantec support plan is entitling us to upgrade to BE 2012

Questions:

How do I go about installing the BE 2012 and all 5 agents?

Do I need to deactivate the existing BE 2010R2 installation and uninstall all agents first?

Is there a way to export my Jobs, selection lists & Policies?

Will the newly installed BE identify the backup media (I'm going to be using the same "backup storage") or do I need to export that information from the old to the new installation?

I was overwhelmed of all the info there is in the knowledge database and I tried to find all that information but could exactly pinpoint the answers I am looking for.

best regards

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Do the following:

1. Install BE 2012 on the new VM and run LiveUpdate to install SP1a and any subsequent patches.

2. Grab copies of the Data/Catalogs folders on your current media server (stop the BE services), and then upgrade this server to BE 2012. Run LiveUpdate to install SP1a and any subsequent patches.

3. Use the TN below (specifically Step IV) to migrate to this new server:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67768

Then push-install your agents from this new media server to your remote servers. THis will re-establish your trusts between the remote servers and the media server.

4. Decommission your old server as soon as you are happy that all is working well.

Thanks!

Bad_Baboon
Level 2

Hi,

Thank you,, this is exactly what I was looking for.

One other question.

Is it going to be a problem to migrate from one domain to another?.

It is to local domains with trust between them.

cheers

have a nice weekend

Bad_Baboon
Level 2

To calrify my question aove..

If Media server 1 is upgradet from 2010R2 to 2012 SP1a and is on domain A and media server 2 a fresh installation of 2012 SP1a2 is on domain B..

Is that going to be a problem migrate from MediaServer1 on A to MediaServer2 on B?

cheers