cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot sawp hard drive listed as disk storage

NEDC
Level 4

I upgraded BE 2010 R3 to 2012 and the how sawppable SATA drives I use for backup are now listed as disk storage and not disk cartridge storage. I was using these drives as B2D folders in 2010 R3.  I can't use media sets which is annoying and when I eject the drive Backup Exec takes the drive offline.  Is there a way to force the drive to show as a disk cartridge or to allow the disk storage to be hot swapped without going offlien and requiring me to manually put it back online?  The backup server is a Windows 2003 SP2 system.

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Are the folders defined as Removeable B2D or standard B2D?

They should be Removable.  If they are standard you'll need to create a new B2D folder somewhere, duplicate the existing data out, delete/redefine as R-B2D, and then Duplicate back 

NEDC
Level 4

Thanks for the reply.  In 2012 I don't see an option to define if its removable or not.  I will try a blank drive and see if I can define it as removable.  My drives worked correctly in 2010 R3.  In Windows the drive shows as D: and was connected via SATA.

NEDC
Level 4

In 2012 when I select Configure Storage after selecting disk storage the disk cartridge device is greyed out.  I can configure it as disk storage.  This is a Windows 2003 system and I'm thinking that in 2008 I can select it as a disk cartridge.  Any way around this?  Otherwise I'm switching back to 2010 R3.

Thank you.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If the drive appears as removable storage under Windows Device Mgr, then you would have the option of configuring a Disk Cartridge Device else if not, it would be configured only as Disk Storage...

DorseySupport
Not applicable

Our Dell RD1000 is registered in Windows as a removable storage device but the Disk Cartridge config option is still greyed out. I've been able to import the legacy B2D folder and the media appears in the list, but the config wizard refuses to recognize the device and media. what gives?