cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotfix for backup Exec 11d 7170

biggest
Level 3
Hi,
I have Backup Exec 11d 7170, hotfix 3 installed on 32 bit Windows 2k3 but I am unable to restore individual mailboxes from Tape even though I selected the restore individual mailbiexes option.  I spoke to Symantec support and they said I need to have at least HOTFIX 11 before the restore can work for me. 
The trouble is that I am unable to install any hotfixes from the site below or using the liveupdate from backup exec.
Liveupdate says all updates are installed and up to date
There is no HOTFIX 4 or 5 for 32 bit Windows on the above link and when I try to run the hotfixes (6 or above) from the site, they all fail with the foll message: Upgrade terminated unexpectedly. Pls see installation log for details.  And the installation logs says:

***Failed. went into writelog, but did not send to log server
 Executing CLUS_InitData***Failed. went into writelog, but did not send to log server
 InitData failed to open the cluster wrapper***Failed. went into writelog, but did not send to log server
 m_bUseNativeClient = 0***Failed. went into writelog, but did not send to log server
 Executing CLUS_InitData***Failed. went into writelog, but did not send to log server
 InitData failed to open the cluster wrapper***Failed. went into writelog, but did not send to log server
 m_bUseNativeClient = 0***Failed. went into writelog, but did not send to log server
 Entering PatchSetup.exe***Failed. went into writelog, but did not send to log server
 Command Line: /NAME:Hotfix-6 /UI:FULL***Failed. went into writelog, but did not send to log server
 V-225-136:  The patch failed to install.  Return code: 1642  ***To search for information about this error, click <a href="http://support.veritas.com/umi/V-225-136" target="main">here </a> ***Failed. went into writelog, but did not send to log server
 Exiting PatchSetup.exe***Failed. went into writelog, but did not send to log server
 Entering PatchSetup.exe***Failed. went into writelog, but did not send to log server
 Command Line: /NAME:Hotfix-6 /UI:FULL***Failed. went into writelog, but did not send to log server
 V-225-136:  The patch failed to install.  Return code: 1642  ***To search for information about this error, click <a

I have been on to Technical support and requested a callback after waiting for consecutive long periods but no one has called me back.

Could someone please advise what I should do to resolve this.  This is now very urgent as I need to resolve this before users can be moved to this new exchange.

Thanks for your assistance.
9 REPLIES 9

Dubtecate
Level 3
I believe the hotfixes you have found are all for revision 6235.  Currently the only hotfix I know of for revision 7170 is hotfix 3.  I am currently looking for more in case I have missed some, but search results aren't coming up with anything.  Still waiting on a call back from Symantec.  The LiveUpdate option did not work for me.  For some reason it finds 1 update and downloads it, but doesn't install or complete the update.  Right now I am downloading hotfix 3 to install it manually.

Thanks
Ryan

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
Are you running LiveUpdate from a rdp session?  Updates must be run from a console session.  Symantec knows about this but for some reason they haven't fixed it (at least tell us when we try it).

Dubtecate
Level 3
Yes Dennis, I was trying it from an RDP session.  Thanks for the tip.  I attempted it from the console and everything updated fine.

Thanks
Ryan

Jack_Dorsey
Level 5
That's the first I've heard about not being able to update from a Remote Desktop connection.  I do it all the time and my system updates flawlessly.  As a matter of fact, I've never run LiveUpdate from a console session.  Weird!

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
It will work if you use the /console option.  Otherwise LiveUpdate will fail.

Jack_Dorsey
Level 5
Then I must be using that option without realizing it, because I've never had a failed LiveUpdate session yet and I've only used Remote Desktop connections.  It's possible that that particular issue was resolved with build 7170, but I ran about a billion LiveUpdates on the old bulid via Remote Desktop and never had a failed LiveUpdate there, either.

Is this is a known issue across the board or simply one that is realized only in certain environments?  I only ask out of pure curiosity because I've been using 11d since it's inception and have never heard of this.

Cheers, Jack

biggest
Level 3
Hi All,

Just to update - I had Symantec tech support on line and they confirmed that the only available hotfix for BE 11 v7170 os hotfix 3.  

Thanks guys for you contributions.

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
Jack,
I haven't tried it under 7170 but it was definitely an issue under the prior release.  I suspect that some updates are unaffected and some are.  I hit the problem when dealing with automated updates in an x64 environment not occuring (it created the LiveUpdate scheduled task incorrectly).  I worked through all this with support but I didn't get the feeling they felt it was something they should fix.  It was one of those "point the finger at Microsoft" deals.

It is unlikely you're using the console switch if you're using the standard rdp link available in Windows.  To use the console opyion you have to include the /console switch. 

BTW - If you're managing a lot of servers/desktops and use rdp sessions try visionapp's Remote Desktop.  (http://www.visionapp.com/141+B6Jkw9MA__.0.html)   It's free and is an excellent way to centralize your RDP connections.  It allows you to set them up as console sessions too.

Jack_Dorsey
Level 5
Hi Dennis,

Good info.  One of the biggest reasons I asked is because if my current BEX system state doesn't and hasn't had the issue I wouldn't be at all opposed to having a Symantec Engineer check it out for a possible solution to the issue.  I've been working closely with some of the Symantec Engineers ever since moving to BEX 11(d) for several reasons, some due to problems and some due to fixing others' problems. 

I'll take a look at that RDP manager.  Thanks for the info!

Cheers, Jack