cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I import\restore a Backup Exec Database to a different system

Michael_Strelit
Level 3

I have been running Backup Exec 11d in Windows SBS 2003 and am moving to Backup Exec 12.5 in Windows 2003 R2. SQL Express 2008 is running in the SBS server and SQL Server 2008 R2 in the Windows 2003 R2 server.

I would like to be able to restore the backup of the SQL 11d database into the server running 12.5. Is this possible and if not straightforward how?

The purpose is to be able to do a restore without first having to catalogue a tape. I have over 100 tapes in an archive and do not know where the next restore request will come from.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You cannot use Server 2008 R2 as a media server for BE 12.5.  Neither does it support SQL 2008 R2.  Again you need BE 2010 for both of that.  See the SCL's below

BE 12.5 Software (SCL)

BE 2010|2010 R2|2010 R3 Software (SCL)

You can do an in-place upgrade directly from BE 11d to BE 2010 R3 which is the latest version.   This will preserve your existing jobs and catalogs.  Make sure that you make a copy of the Data and Catalog directories under the BE installation directory, in case the upgrade goes wrong.  After the upgrade, you should run LU a couple of times to install SP1 and the latest hotfixes.  The upgrade to BE 2010 is free if you are on a current maintenance contract.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

You will have to migrate BE11d database to BE 12.5 using BEMig

Refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH50537

Note: SQL 2008 R2 is not compatible with BE 12.5

BE2010 and above is compatible with SQL 2008 R2, you can upgrade from BE11d to BE2010 R3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

My suggestion is as follows (using BE 2010 R3):

1. Upgrade your current server to BE 2010 R3.

2. Install BE 2010 R3 on the Win2K8 R2 server.

3. Follow the TN below to move BE to the new server:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67768

What this means is that you don't have any issues migrating between versions...patch the new server with SP1 and any available updates released after BE 2010 R3 SP1 using LiveUpdate.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Be aware that it is a migration, not an import or merge, as such if the server you are moving the database to has already been used to run backup jobs and already has a media inventory with records of media usage then you can't move the old data across as it wil replace the new data.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You cannot use Server 2008 R2 as a media server for BE 12.5.  Neither does it support SQL 2008 R2.  Again you need BE 2010 for both of that.  See the SCL's below

BE 12.5 Software (SCL)

BE 2010|2010 R2|2010 R3 Software (SCL)

You can do an in-place upgrade directly from BE 11d to BE 2010 R3 which is the latest version.   This will preserve your existing jobs and catalogs.  Make sure that you make a copy of the Data and Catalog directories under the BE installation directory, in case the upgrade goes wrong.  After the upgrade, you should run LU a couple of times to install SP1 and the latest hotfixes.  The upgrade to BE 2010 is free if you are on a current maintenance contract.