cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I duplicate to tape after dedup duplicate to another dedupe folder job?

macpiano
Level 6

OK I have I have backups going on Building A dedupe folder then duplicate job automatiaclly to building B dedupe and that is working well so far. Now I need that backup job duplicated to tape in Building B from the 2nd dedupe folder. On my first attempts it said.

The requested source duplicate backup sets catalog record could not be found.  Perhaps the media containing the source backup sets was previously deleted. "Perhaps?"

Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

@Timo: What Macpiano wants to achieve is possible. This is competely supported if you are usng CASO-MMS setup.

@ Macpiano: Please perform the following steps.

1) First ensure that the DeDupes folder on both the servers are shared with eachother. You can check this by going to Backup Exec Devices tab, right click on the DeDupe folder and check the Sharing tab.

I am sure you have done this as you duplicate to Dedupe are working fine.

2) As the tape drive is attached to the MMS, create a Policy with three templates on the MMS server.

Template 1: Full backup of the data to the DeDupe folder on the MMS. In this job you can use the Client side Dedupe option so that less data will be transfered over your network.

Template 2: Duplicate the data from DeDupe of MMS to DeDupe of CASO server

Template 3: Duplicate the data from DeDupe of CASO to the tape drive

The reason why I am asking you to create all the jobs on the same server where the tape drive is created because currently we have found this as a Known issue and will be looking forward to fix in the future versions of BE.

If you still want to create the jobs on CASO only then you can also do the following steps:

1) First ensure that the DeDupes folder on both the servers are shared with eachother. You can check this by going to Backup Exec Devices tab, right click on the DeDupe folder and check the Sharing tab.

2) Create a Policy with TWO templates on the CASO server.

Template 1: Full backup of the data to the DeDupe folder on the CASO server.

Template 2: Duplicate the data from DeDupe of CASO  to DeDupe of MMS server

Than manually create the Duplicate job on MMS to duplicate the data from DeDupe of MMS to Tape drive.

Hope the information answers all your queries.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I am doubtful about duplicating an already duplicated backup. It may be creating problem.

If i am wrong about duplicating an already duplicated set, cataloging the 2nd dedup storage folder may help.

Thanks...

Timo_Schoenfeld
Level 4

Let me point out:

You backup Builiding A to DeDup Folder. That DeDup Folder ist duplicated to Building B in another DeDup-Folder ? Right ?

That is not functional.

You can duplicate the DeDup Folder to Tape or Backup-To-Disk but not to another DeDupFolder. Duplication of DeDup will again DeDeDuplicate the DeDuplicated data, so that you will find the inflated data size on the targetdrive or Disk-Folder. DeDup Folder is an PostgreySQL Database and not a bkf-structure.

So if you need to host DeDup-Folder on Building B, you need at least a ISCSI attched NAS/SAN, so that you will be able to mount that storage withe a drive-letter to your BE-Server in Building A.

Regards Timo

macpiano
Level 6

Job starts with Server backuped up to Building A dedupe folder. Then the backup set is duplicated to Buidling B dedupe folder. I'm not doing a duplicate of dedupe folder itself to the other dedupe folder. I will test this later on to do a restore of the duplicated set from Buidling B's dedupe folder to test this.

Timo_Schoenfeld
Level 4

I understand, you duplictae the DeDup Backup - Set, and your destination is another DeDup folder.

But how you managed it to implement two DeDup Folder to one BE-Server ?

You need one Dedup-Folder as destintaion for you DeDup-Backup on Building A and one DeDup-Folder as target for the Job which duplicates the DeDup - Backup, and both folder must be attached on one BE Server, the one which makes backups and duplicates the backup set.

Please give us an exact blueprint of your structure. I thing you have a missunderstanding on how DeDup works.

Regards Timo

macpiano
Level 6

I have 2 buildings each with a media server and each of those have a dedupe folder. The first building is the CASO and it has the dedupe folder on the server itself. Both buildings have a tape drive. I want Server A -> backuped to Building A's dedupe folder -> that job is duplicated to  -> Media server in building B's dedupe folder-> I want that duplicate job then backed up to tape from Building B's dedupe folder to the tape drive attached to Building B's Media server.

Timo_Schoenfeld
Level 4

Ok, i got it, and i must again say not possible. Let me explain.

1. Backup Building A to DeDup-Folder on Media Server A (No Problem)

2. Duplicate that DeDup data to Building B DedupFolder - How ? Each Server can only mount ONE DeDup folder, so even with CASO you will ony send jobs to deticated Mediaservers and not be able to mout several DeDups on one Mediaserver. Because Mediaserver can only mount one DeDup folder, for me it is a miracle how you created that job. 

3. PostgreySQL-Database on building A is handling which files are double and that database only knows in case of restore how to make from the DeDup Data again a full restore. That Infomation CANNOT be duplicated.

4. If you do a duplicate job of a DeDup backup, BE will build a full backup out of the DeDup data, so that duplictae size increases. It is called De DeDup  - on the distination of such duplicate job you will find again the hole data. That is a technical limitation, because of the fact that DeDup is PostgreySQL based.

Even if that sould work what you want, but what is not possible beacuse of the limitation that one mediaserver can only host on DeDup folder, you will have no advantage. The duplicate job of DeDup will inflate the data back to original size, will pump that data to other DeDup folder where the Data is Deduplicated again. So you can do a backup directly to DeDup on Building B. Got it ?

Regards Timo

macpiano
Level 6

I want to do this as written in Symantec's doc on dedupe 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/sites/default/files/BEDedup.pdf 

The ability to perform Deduplicated Backup Set Copies is also built into the product and is available at no additional cost.

The data is replicated in a deduplicated format and requires a second Deduplication Option license, along with the Central

Administration Server Option (CASO), to be purchased for the second media server. Backup Exec will be fully aware of the

secondary copy which allows for easy recovery of data in case of disasters. The Deduplicated Backup Set Copy process

allows complete independence from tape if the customer chooses to do so.

How do I do this?

macpiano
Level 6

From the duplicate job log from one dedupe to another. Teh 2 dedupe servers in Bold

Job Log: BEX_DEL-BS3_00058.xmlJob Log for Duplicate Backup DEL-SQL Full

Completed status: Successful
      Expand AllCollapse All

Job Information
Job server: DEL-BS3
Job name: Duplicate Backup DEL-SQL Full
Job started: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 at 9:47:15 AM
Job type: Duplicate
Job Log: BEX_DEL-BS3_00058.xml

Drive and media mount requested: 3/16/2011 9:47:15 AM
No appendable media could be mounted.
Switching to overwrite operation on scratch media.

Destination Drive and Media Information
Drive and media information from media mount: 3/16/2011 9:48:06 AM
Drive Name: HOW-BS3 Dedup:6
Media Label: OST00000021-4433EAB4BB55F9D2

Media GUID: {b90d07cf-6b71-4f98-a936-f9af17dd0fa4}
Overwrite Protected Until: 4/13/2011 9:48:04 AM
Appendable Until: 3/22/2011 9:48:04 AM
Targeted Media Set Name: Keep Data for 4 Weeks

All Media Used
 OST00000021-4433EAB4BB55F9D2

Drive and media mount requested: 3/16/2011 9:48:06 AM
Source Drive and Media Information
Drive and media information from media mount: 3/16/2011 9:48:19 AM
Drive Name: DEL-BS3 Dedupe:6
Media Label: OST00000072-4E4E929069145303
Media GUID: {31c72c2b-67f2-4623-9a27-b55ce9751e1f}
Overwrite Protected Until: 4/13/2011 9:47:10 AM
Appendable Until: 3/22/2011 9:39:42 AM

Job Operation - Duplicate
            Backup Options
Media operation - Overwrite media.

Compression Type: Hardware [if available, otherwise none]

Encryption Type: None

DirectCopy to tape: Disabled

WARNING: The option 'Verify after backup completes' was not selected.

Performing a verify operation to make sure that media can be read after the backup has completed is recommended.

Server - DEL-SQL-2008-VM
                  Set Information - New Volume
                         Source Set Information
Backup set #1: ""
Backup of "\\DEL-SQL-2008-VM\G: New Volume"
Backup performed on 3/16/2011 at 9:39 AM
Storage media #1: "Keep Data for 4 Weeks"

Destination Set Information
Backup set #1: ""
Storage media #1: "Media created 3/16/2011 9:47:15 AM"

Backup started on 3/16/2011 at 9:48:21 AM.
Duplicate completed on 3/16/2011 at 9:53:31 AM.
Duplicate Set Summary
Backed up 0 files in 0 directories.
V-79-8192-4881 - The count of Files and Directories processed is not available for this operation. The File and Directory count might be displayed as zero.

Processed 48,618,143,744 bytes in  5 minutes and  10 seconds.
Throughput rate: 8974 MB/min

Deduplication Stats::PDDO Stats for (DEL-BS3): scanned: 47479057 KB, stream rate: 168.60 MB/sec, CR sent: 2939150 K 

teiva-boy
Level 6

Timo,

With CASO, you can duplicate a dedupe folder from one media server to another.  CASO will hold and update the catalog for both.  This is possible and a great use case for deduplication.  Again, this IS supported.  

macpiano
Level 6

I did a restore job today using CASO using the 2nd building dedupe folder's data. It was restoring fine to a redirected folder in that building for testing purposes. Our whole state education network was hosed this afternoon so I have no idea if it finished.

Now my original question. Now that we know this works from duplicating from one dedupe to another how do I reassemble to tape in that 2nd building?

Sush---
Level 6

@Timo: What Macpiano wants to achieve is possible. This is competely supported if you are usng CASO-MMS setup.

@ Macpiano: Please perform the following steps.

2) As the tape drive is attached to the MMS, create a Policy with three templates on the MMS server.

Template 1: Full backup of the data to the DeDupe folder on the MMS. In this job you can use the Client side Dedupe option so that less data will be transfered over your network.

Template 2: Duplicate the data from DeDupe of MMS to DeDupe of CASO server

Template 3: Duplicate the data from DeDupe of CASO to the tape drive

The reason why I am asking you to create all the jobs on the same server where the tape drive is created because currently we have found this as a Known issue and will be looking forward to fix in the future versions of BE.

If you still want to create the jobs on CASO only then you can also do the following steps:

2) Create a Policy with TWO templates on the CASO server.

Template 1: Full backup of the data to the DeDupe folder on the CASO server.

Template 2: Duplicate the data from DeDupe of CASO  to DeDupe of MMS server

Than manually create the Duplicate job on MMS to duplicate the data from DeDupe of MMS to Tape drive.

Hope the information answers all your queries.

Thanks,

-Sush...

macpiano
Level 6

@ Sush...  So the actual jobs have to be created on the actual server that has the physical tape drive? No wonder I have been banging my head on this. I will be trying this out.

thanks

Gary

Sush---
Level 6

Thats right. You need to run al the jobs on the same server where the Tape drive is connected. As I said that this was fond to be a known issue/ limitation in the current version and will be fixed in the next major release of BE. So when the issue is fixed you can create the on CASO too even when the tape drive is on the MMS.... But confirmed that when its created on the same server it works.

Thanks,

-Sush...

macpiano
Level 6

I'm running a test job(s) as we speak. What is weird is that both MMS and CASO servers have a 10% utilization of the nics andn the router stats are telling me that matches that bandwidth. Could it be client side dedupe?

Timo_Schoenfeld
Level 4

Hi Guys,

Ok. I must appoligize if i missed that in the documentation. I will read and learn and test it. Will be back...

Regards Timo

macpiano
Level 6

I tested this manually and it does work. I did notice that it looks like the very first full backup must be duplicated to tape because the test one was after several fulls were done. Since dedupe does only the changes that is all it backups up, since it is doing its job. I can confirm that now when you go to the restore catalog the selection to restore is in there 3 times. The original, the the duplicate to then 2nd dedupe folder, then duplicate to tape are available. I did a redirected restore and it was successful. The only I didn't add in the mix was a verify but I will try that later on

I will reset all my jobs on the MMS where the tape drive is.