cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I recover Licensing Key?

anyasays
Level 2

An IT company installed out Backup Exec in July 07 (they are no longer in business).  We hired another; however after he restored our server (after it crashed), he did not restore the Backup Exec.  I have now been given the task of locating our Licensing Key so that I can reinstall it.  I can't find any information on how to retrieve the Licensing Key.  Can anyone please help?

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Please contact customer care to obtain your license information.  The link below will help you find your local customer care number. 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/assistance_information.jsp

anyasays
Level 2

I checked the link and under the "Replacement License Certificate" portion, it states I need the following:

* Symantec Sales Order Number - The IT company we hired purchased our server, software, hardware, etc. and installed everything for us so all I have is there invoice for the purchase (no Symantec Sales Order Number)

* License ID - Don't have since this information in on the License Certificate

* Certificate Number - Don't have since this information in on the License Certificate

* Serial Number - Don't have since this information in on the License Certificate

So I guess this means we just have to chalk it up to a loss for the money we spent for this program?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

if he did a real Disaster Recovery rather than reinstalling the OS and restorein User Data, look in the \Windows directory for the file BESERNUM.XML  it contains all the serials installed on that media server

if no, and you still have a tape from just before the crash, you can also restore\redirect the same file

Vijay_S_Mishra
Level 6
Employee Certified

Location of BESERNUM.XML in BEWS 11 and above , this file is located at X:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec

Where X is the drive where BE installed.

Als0, for all the version before 11 d , thsi file can be located under Window directory.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

thanks, Vijay

Gotta remember to check which forum I'm in once in  a while Smiley Surprised