cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is 11D?

albert_choua
Level 4
I need to hear more from all of you before i upgrade my BackupExec from 10D to 11D. My 10D now is working perfectly. Is it worth to upgrade?

Is it easy to upgrade from 10D to 11D?

What is different between 10D and 11D? How good it is?

Would you like to share your experience with us?

Thank you for your comment and advise.
10 REPLIES 10

Eric_Reid_2
Level 4
I just completed a complete "Migration" from BE10d to BE11d. I have a total of 15 MMS and 1 CAS server. My upgrade was conducted over a 2-week period setting up a new CAS and copying all my policies and selection list over to the new CAS. Overall my experience was great, I ran Full System Backups yesterday and issues that I had in the BE10d environment are no longer an issue. Symantec has done a very good job with version.

My recommendation to you is plan-plan-plan, I decided to have a parallel environment in the event that things went south.

From what I was told from Symantec about the differences is that BE10d did not scale very well, and with the engineering of BE11d it scales much better. My major issues in BE10d was duplicate job failures, I can tell you that active jobs are smoother.

Issues I'm currently having post migration is Media Management, Reporting on "Recently Written Media" and Vault Rules. This is all part of the pre planning, if you do this correctly you should have a successful upgrade.

Hope this helps

Eric Reid

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
Supposedly, everything you're doing now should work w/o problems on 11d.

That said, there are a lot of reported problems getting the upgrade keys and there are several people reporting a significant drop in speed.

It's probably best to run a test environment to see if the speed issues apply to you as well as weeding out any problems before yu go live.

Cary_Hostrawser
Level 3
My advice is to not do it. While I see the potential of the newer options, what I have not seen is solid working software. I had a couple of issues with 10d I really wanted solved. Not one was fixed in 11d, although I had been told they were. What I got instead was more bugs I needed to work around. Retrieving a single file from a back up takes as long as a complete server backup. Used to take minutes. Every live update screws up my installation files for the DLO agent. This turns out to be replacing configuration file with a blank one. I had a manually go through and edit my registry of every old reference to veritas to fix some bugs. So far its been a nightmare, just more bugs and not a single solution to the old bugs. I could have bought an alternative solution for the cost in debug time alone after the upgrade.

Backup exec has turned into an application I constantly need to babysit and fix. I do not feel confident my data safe and know its not quickly retrievable. The days of swap the tape and know its working are gone.
Wait until they work out the bugs (if that day ever comes).

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
In addition to the speed issues, there there have been many reports that the upgrade trashed all jobs and selection lists, which had to be (re)created from scratch

Again, plan-plan-plan

and test-test-test

And most important, have a fall back plan, should you decide that it's not worth it at this time ;)

Kingsley_Mok
Level 5
Albert,

You may want to do a search in the forum for Backup Exec 11D.

There have been several problems in Backup Exec 11D that affects real world production servers:

1.) Backing up Exchange Mailbox at the Information Store level, during the restore, not all mailboxes can be restored. GRT is flawed.
2.) Back up jobs get rescheduled when you modify an existing job.
3.) Backup Log files are corrupted over 700mb or so.
4.) Tape Import/Export glitchy. It's flaky.

Stay on v10.1d.

Edited to remove competitor advertisment. Stick to Symantec issues. If you want to advertise your company's products, do it elsewhere.Message was edited by:
Tom Diederich

albert_choua
Level 4
Thank you so much for all the information from you guys.

. I don't have any extra machine to test the new software. I think I have to wait for awhile to upgrade my Backup Server. No way for me to make PLAN.

Hope there are more people drop some words here to share their experience with us.

Thanks again to everybody!

oracle_8202
Level 4
I have had a lot of trouble with the Oracle agent. I had trouble getting it configured correctly and I am still having trouble executing backups. You might also view such threads such as

How You Lost a Customer

http://forums.symantec.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=69331&tstart=0

Is it possible to get support?

http://forums.symantec.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=73387&tstart=0

11d is useless and so is the support

http://forums.symantec.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=70376

Jakob_Markussen
Level 4
If you want a product that works.. Dont get 11... It sucks....
If you want support.. Dont use Symantec... Their support sucks..

My advise - use another vendor...

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
11D has been fine for me. But then maybe that's because the install files have been sat waiting for us to get some license keys for months...

Steven_Trudo
Level 2
I have 2 servers the main server I upgraded to 11d and for the most part I have had no problems with. Getting the license keys was a bit tricky. After doing a little research for the second server I decided to hold off and stay on the older until it stabilizes a bit. The main server is simple file sharing so there's nothing weird. The second is a little more involved (SQL and Exchange).

There is still no support for Exchange 2007.

I've also had a hard time with support on the Anti-Virus side of Symantec and have changed vendors because of it. You know you are in trouble when they come back with "Yes, we are aware of the problem you are having but we don't know when it will be fixed." or "Yes, we are aware of the problem you are having it should be fixed in the next release unfortunately they don't let us know when that will be, it should be in the next 30-90 days..." I'm still waiting after 1 year.
I had this exact conversation 3 times for 3 unique problems.

All I can say is good luck. Based on what I've seen in this forum you may have better luck winning the lottery then getting a reliable backup.