cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Migrate Existing Deduplication Folder to other Storage Device ?

Gunni75
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello,

i need a HowTo or Step by Step Guide to migrate the Deduplication Folder from existing Storage Device to another Storage Device ?

* Backup Exec 2012 SP2 on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
* Deduplication Folder takes place on a FC-SAN LUN
* Migration Target Storage Device --> another Storage FC LUN on another FC-Storage 

Can anyone guide me for this ?
Thanks.

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Quoting Step 7 of the procedure in the document,

From Windows Explorer, copy the deduplication disk storage device to the new path or volume.

so you are not creating a new dedup folder even if you choose to create a new dedup folder.  BE will use the dedup folder on that volume.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Gunni75
Level 4
Partner Accredited

thanks for the TN.

But in this TN there is no information how to migrate Deduplication Folder with existing Data on it.
The procedures described only create a new Deduplication Folder !

Import an existing deduplication disk storage is only for prior Backup Exec Version 2012.
But in my case the Deduplication folder was created with Backup Exec 2012 !

pkh
   VIP    Certified

But in this TN there is no information how to migrate Deduplication Folder with existing Data on it.
The procedures described only create a new Deduplication Folder !

Which part of the document gives you the impressing that it is for creating a new dedup folder?

Here is a quote from the document

Deduplication storage folder or deduplication disk storage device may run low on disk space.

Mixed data / dedupe volumes may require the deduplication storage folder or deduplication disk storage device to be moved to a dedicated volume.

If this does not implying moving a dedup folder with existing data, I don't know what is.

This document is equally valid for BE 2012. Here is another quote from the document.  

This Technote provides instructions for Backup Exec 2010 R3 and Backup Exec 2012.

Do read the document CAREFULLY.

Gunni75
Level 4
Partner Accredited

at this point in TN:

NOTE: For a deduplication disk storage device that was created in Backup Exec version 2012, click Create a new deduplication disk storage device.

why "create a new" and not import Deduplication Folder ?
Import is only for Dedup-Folders from Backup Exec 2010...

If i select Create a new Deduplication Folder, BE creates a new Dedup-Folder Configuration.
But on the copyong new volume/device, there is already a existing Dedup-Folder Configuration.

and i have carefully read this document wink

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Quoting Step 7 of the procedure in the document,

From Windows Explorer, copy the deduplication disk storage device to the new path or volume.

so you are not creating a new dedup folder even if you choose to create a new dedup folder.  BE will use the dedup folder on that volume.