cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to automatically run a backup job after another backup job finishes

Frenchyyy
Level 2

Hi,

I am currently using Backup Exec 2010 R2.  A full weekly backup is scheduled for each Friday to a 'weekly backup' media set.  I am looking to create another media set called 'monthly backup', and configure Backup Exec so that a full monthly backup completes on the first Friday/weekend of each month.

The weekly backup job usually completes between 2 and 3 AM on Sunday.  Does anyone know how I can schedule the monthly backup to automatically start, on the first weekend of every month, after the weekly backup completes (whether it completes successfully/fails).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If both the backup jobs are configured through a policy it will be easy to link schedules/start times.

I will do the following to achieve the same:

A policy with weekly backup templates scheduled to start on all fridays. 

And a monthly template scheduled to start excatly on first weekly backup schedule, including time. (Means first friday of every month)

Configure a template rule as "If start time conflicts weekly backup starts and upon completion monthly backup starts".

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If both the backup jobs are configured through a policy it will be easy to link schedules/start times.

I will do the following to achieve the same:

A policy with weekly backup templates scheduled to start on all fridays. 

And a monthly template scheduled to start excatly on first weekly backup schedule, including time. (Means first friday of every month)

Configure a template rule as "If start time conflicts weekly backup starts and upon completion monthly backup starts".

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...unless you're creating a policy manually (and I'd recommend the OP doesn't!), the create policy wizard builds the rules automatically for you.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

the create policy wizard builds the rules automatically for you.

True. But can be edited. 

And i do not understand the problems in creating policy manually.

Thanks.... 

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

True, it can be edited, but you never mentioned that either.

I also mentioned no problems creating a policy manually...however, if someone is inexperienced with creating policies, they run the risk of messing up rules. The wizard exists...that was why I suggested using it as it makes life simpler.

Frenchyyy
Level 2

Thank you for your replies.  I will give that a try and let you know how I get on.