cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to/ best practices to - Rotate tapes between physical sites - DRP

Andr__Schumer
Level 3

Sorry about seems a really noob question to post here, but I always run my backup routines in BE on a robotic library and without need to worry about takeoff cartridges and perform a more specific rotate tapes work.
Now I have a initial DRP will provide the periodical collect of backup tapes on my site and dispatch them to be stored in an external backup site.

So, ask you:
How the best procedure by procedure (it's not necessary step by step, because I  have the knowledge of basic operations of BE – just a best practice or strategy line), to periodically dismount and eject the backup tapes of my full backups,  and later mount import them again to append medias and continue the jobs at this point?
Would be simple as just use the “export to vault X”, “eject” and them “inventory” and “import” options?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If the collection is done after the job completes, then it is just a matter of exporting the tape.  Suppose you have a daily backup job and the daily tape is brought off-site.  After a few days, it is returned.  In ths case, all you need to do is to have a policy with your daily job as a backup template and an export template.  After the daily job, the tape used would be exported and you just need to collect it from the mailslot.  When the tape returns, just import it.  If you are using barcode labels, then there is no need to do an inventory.

Suppose you have a daily job and the collection is not daily, then you would have to set up some vault rules and use the vault wizard to move the tapes to a vault.  This will let you know which tape to pull from your tape library.  When the tape returns, you would need to reverse the process.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If the collection is done after the job completes, then it is just a matter of exporting the tape.  Suppose you have a daily backup job and the daily tape is brought off-site.  After a few days, it is returned.  In ths case, all you need to do is to have a policy with your daily job as a backup template and an export template.  After the daily job, the tape used would be exported and you just need to collect it from the mailslot.  When the tape returns, just import it.  If you are using barcode labels, then there is no need to do an inventory.

Suppose you have a daily job and the collection is not daily, then you would have to set up some vault rules and use the vault wizard to move the tapes to a vault.  This will let you know which tape to pull from your tape library.  When the tape returns, you would need to reverse the process.

Andr__Schumer
Level 3

OK. So simple as I was thinking then.

Thanks a lot.