cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure policy to write two tapes from one B2D backup?

GrNathan
Level 2
Partner

My client has BackupExec 2010 R3 on Windows Server 2008R2 Std.

All protected systems are VMware guests, via AVVI, written initially to a B2D folder on direct-attached-storage.

At the moment, I have a policy that takes care of the B2D jobs and the necessary duplicate-to-tape for offsite protection.  I have been asked to configure policy to allow a second set of tapes to be created once a week, for these tapes to be sent to a second offsite location for additional safety.

How can I configure BE to perform this sequence of tasks?

1. Backup all VMs to disk

2. Duplicate to tapes in Media Set1.  (for example, in Tape Library slots 1-4)

3. Duplicate to tapes in Media Set2. (for example, in Tape Library slots 5-9)

I have a single LTO4 tape head, so running D2D2T2T (as per suggestions I have seen elsewhere) isn't viable, but it seems that once the first duplicate has run, BE cannot see what to duplicate onto my second media set for step 3 of my simplified sequence above.

Thanks in advance...

Nathan

4 REPLIES 4

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

As you mentioned you already have poilicy in place and it should have one backup template which backs up data to backup to disk and the 2nd template for the duplicate job to the tape .You would need to add one more duplicate backup job template and configure the template rule so that the 2nd duplicate job starts once the 1st one is complete. You can also schedule the duplicate backup job to start at a specific time.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Your policy needs to have 1 backup template and 2 duplicate templates.  The duplicate templates should target Media set 1 and Media set 2 respectively.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Also just ensure (make sure) that when creating the second duplicate job the Source selected is from B2D and not tapes. While creating the second duplicate job it will show both the templates (original source and duplicate) to select for duplicating and as you have only one tape drive the Original Source template which is on B2D needs to be selected.

Thanks,

-Sush...

GrNathan
Level 2
Partner

I've implemented as per RahulG, and test flight is scheduled for this weekend