cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect IBM TS3100 Tape Backup to Backup Exec 2010R2

Rocky77
Level 4

How to connect IBM TS3100 Tape Backup to Backup Exec 2010R2?

Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Check your zoning Rocky...make sure that the zone is correct (HBA from server in the zone along with the tape library), and that the zone is active.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

Rocky77
Level 4

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Connect the Tape Library to the Server and ensure that its properly detected in Windows Device Manager. Ones its detected there then Backup Exec will grab the data from there and will show up in Backup Exec console too.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Rocky77
Level 4

Hello Sush,

I just connected the backup server with IBM TS 3100 Tape backup library through network cable but i can't see it on disk management on the server.

Should I connect them via USB cable? or it doesn't matter?

Thank you for all your help since this is my first time that i am connecting tape backup with symantec!!!

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

How to configure tape devices with BE: http://symantec.com/docs/TECH42823

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Did you also connect the library with a SCSI / SAS or Fibre channel cable ? Only the Ethernet cable is not enough. Ethernet is only for management for the library.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Network port on library is just for management.

For data connectivity, libraries will have FC or SAS connections. You should have the same kind of card in the backup server so that you connect both.

Rocky77
Level 4

Thank you so much Kiran and ZeRoc00L what a great link to have...but i don't know somehow it doesn't show in device manager (I attached the screen shot)

I connect it via fiber channel then assing an ip address and also with Ethernet cable i connect server to tape library but to no avail..

Any help would be appreciated (you don't beleive how frustrating it is)

Thank You

Rocky77
Level 4

Thank you so much Kiran and ZeRoc00L what a great link to have...but i don't know somehow it doesn't show in device manager (I attached the screen shot)

I connect it via fiber channel then assing an ip address and also with Ethernet cable i connect server to tape library but to no avail..

Any help would be appreciated (you don't beleive how frustrating it is)

Thank You

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Make sure the cable and HBA card you used to connect tape library with media server is good. If you have any other working cable inplace, use it to connect library and server and check. Remove the cable from tape library side and check for light inside the cable connector. If no light is present, either the cable or HBA is faulty. Remove the cable from HBA and see inside the HBA port for the light. If HBA is not faulty, it should also show light in one connector.

If everything seems fine, do a powercycle of server and library. shutdown library and media server. Poweron library and let it complete it's inventory. Once it comes to ready state, power on the server and check under Device Manager.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The USB device in your screenshot is not your library.

I do not see any Fibre Adapters in your server, or is it listed under Storage Controllers?

Also make sure FC zoning is configured properly.

Rocky77
Level 4

I attached the screenshot...is that help...is there anything that i have to do?

Rocky77
Level 4

The backup exec server in which is writing the backup to disk and my manager bought a tape library which i never configured that wants me to connect to tape instead of disk.

My question is if i reboot the backup server now, it is not going to lost any connection to the other servers? I mean that the symantecserviceaccount on those servers is not going to mess up if i reboot the server?

Thank You

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No, I still don't see a FC adapter.

Do you have any installed in your server ?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can safely reboot your server.

During reboot, check if you see any notifications about a Fibre Adapter.

CraigV

...whoops...I spotted it!!! wink QLogic Fibre Channel Adapter. (right under Storage Controllers!).

The OP has an FC HBA so he is good to go!

CraigV

...this looks like a zoning issue. Neither your tape drive nor the robotics are showing in Device Manager. As such, this isn't a Symantec issue.

Log onto the FC switches and check your zoning as a couple of the guys have mentioned. You will have a zone (or SHOULD have a zone!) with the server HBA and the tape drive. If it exists, make sure it is activated.

Once done, reboot the server once more (you can try a device rescan in DM) and see if the library shows up then!

THnaks!

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Sorry, missed it...

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Rocky77, Can you describe how you connected the library? Did you connect the library directy to the FC card in your server, or did you connect the library to a SAN switch and the server also to the SAN switch ?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Don't see any reason why this post is marked down, user asks if he can reboot the server, I responded positive to that.