cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect backup exec to tape media IBM TS2260

Nuttachai_03
Level 3

i want to connect my backup exec (Windows Server 2012R2) connect to tape device model IBM TS2260

12 REPLIES 12

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
You don't mention the version of Backup Exec you use, so check the HCL of the relevant version you run: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000017788 If verified as working, you need to do the following: 1. Attach the tape library to the server; 2. On the server, make sure that Windows identifies the library (Unknown Medium Changer, and the tape drive must show) in Device Manager; 3. What Windows sees, BE sees... 4. Configure the jobs and run them. Thanks!

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I am assuming that you have a stand-alone LTO6 SAS tape drive, correct?

In that case, you need a SAS cable from the tape drive to a non-RAID SAS card/HBA in your server.

Hi , CraigV

I'm use backup exec 2015 , when i plug in SAS cable with server on device manager can't see the device

Hi Larry_Fine

that's right ,i connect tape drive to server ibm system x 3550 (have hba sas adapter) with sas cable

how i should do ? please help

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

The tape drive MUST be visible in Windows Device Manager before Backup Exec becomes relevant, so you are on the right track.

What SAS HBA are you using in the server?  It cannot be a RAID HBA, unless it is on the short list of approved RAID HBAs at http://www.veritas.com/docs/000038683

Does the SAS HBA show the tape drive during POST?  Can you press a key during POST to get into the HBA firmware and see what devices the HBA is recognizing?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Is this IBM server directly running Windows 2012 R2 with BE installed onto it (physical setup) ?

OR

Is the IBM serevr running either Hyper-V or VMware and then running Windows 2012 R2 inside a VM (virtual setup)?

Reason for questions is we cannot support physical tape devices passed through into virtual setups.

CraigV
It must be a supported SAS card for use with an external tape device. IBM can verify that for you...we can't. As before, what Windows sees, BE sees, and it appears as if this issue lies with Windows. Thanks!

Hi Colin_Weaver

Physical server install BE.

Hi 

i used sas card folow this link

https://lenovopress.com/tips1175-n2225-and-n2226-sas-sata-hbas

after i checked it's compatibility with server ibm x3550 m5

about POST i will check and telling you again

CraigV
This is not a Backup Exec issue...fix the issue with the server and Windows. If it is still an issue, then come back to the topic here. Thanks!

Hi CraigV

Now i contact with IBM told me re-install windows server 2012 r2 again to checking.

may be i have no choice i really want to know the root cause come from sas cable or windows.

i will update again.

This case already finished , the main problem is HBA card have a problem i try to contact ibm to change card now everything work.

Thank you everyone to help me support.