cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to convert Physical to Virtual machine via Backup Exec

ssokneang
Level 3

Dear Forum expert,

I am looking for solutions from backuopo exec server 15, I would like to ask whether we can use symantec to backup whole physical linux red hat server then restore it Virtual machine environemnt. I want to do this cause i cannot convert physical machine that have Raw Device Mapping to VMDK file. Do you have any experience with this kind of problem. My phsical server running Red hat connect to SAN Storage. It is configure with Oracle DB and ASM. 

Looking to hear from you. Thanks in Advance. 

Sam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
BE 15 can do either B2V or P2V, but not for RHEL servers or servers with RDM disks

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified
BE 15 can do either B2V or P2V, but not for RHEL servers or servers with RDM disks

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Currently, only Windows Servers are supported for Physical to Virtual conversion process.

ssokneang
Level 3

I am not sure, it will work or not the give guy as following link, and i see that it work on window server.  : http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100266...

ssokneang
Level 3

Dear Sir, 

What do you think if we use ghost to get image of RDM and Restore it to VMDK. is there any possible way to take all data from Raw disk to VMDK. thanks