cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create full and differential backups

JohnyD
Level 3

I'm new to Backup Exec. I have used 11D in the past but I'm not all that familiar with it. I've just purchased 2010 and a new Dell PowerVault 124T, LTO4 tape backup device with an 8 tape autoloader (one slot houses a cleaning tape). I'm looking to set up a backup job that goes like this:

1st of the month - Full Backup, retained indefinitly
Weekdays - Differential
15th of every month - Full Backup, retained for 3 months

Is this possible? Would I use one media set or two? I had hoped that once the job was set up to run that BE would run the jobs slowly filling up the discs, overwriting the differentials after a full backup was performed. I envisioned that eventually BE would fill up all the tapes and I could take them out and store them offsite. Is this reasonable? Is there a better method to achieve my goal?

Thank you very much. I'm fairly new at this so please don't hold back on being descriptive.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You would need to create three media sets

1st FULL     OPP infinite
15th FULL   OPP 90 days
DIFF              14 Days

then you would need a policy that would run the DIFF every weekday, with schedule overrides for the two FULLs  

This would  be assuming all D2D jobs   I'm not sure where the tape backups come in? 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

florin_s
Level 4
Certified

Hello,

can you please provide more info:
-amount of space needed to be backed up(you can run some Full test job on each server to get an estimate)
-do you also have disk storage you can use for backup? how much?
-how many available tapes do you have or plan on using?

If you have enough space available on the storage you can setup a so called Staging Policy:
1. backup to disk(differential and full)
2. copy to tape(only full backup if you have enough space on storage to keep diff backups)
3. set the OPP accordingly for the different kinds of backup(number of  media sets should be equal to the number of different retention times required)

br,
florin

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You would need to create three media sets

1st FULL     OPP infinite
15th FULL   OPP 90 days
DIFF              14 Days

then you would need a policy that would run the DIFF every weekday, with schedule overrides for the two FULLs  

This would  be assuming all D2D jobs   I'm not sure where the tape backups come in? 

JohnyD
Level 3

Thanks for your response. To answer your questions:

-amount of space needed to be backed up(you can run some Full test job on each server to get an estimate)

I haven't run a Full test job yet but the full backup will be approx. 150GB uncompressed. Compression should render this to approx. 110GB based on my legacy backups.

-do you also have disk storage you can use for backup? how much?

At the moment I don't have a spare disk in the server I am running BE2010 on. It's a Dell R710 with 4 spare SAS slots so I can definitely add in a raid1.

-how many available tapes do you have or plan on using?

I have an 8 tape LTO4 autoloader with one being my cleaning tape. I have 7 tapes to work with. I have extras as well once I exhaust their capacity. 

I would prefer backing up directly to tape. Is there any advantage to backing up to disk? I'm sure it would be somewhat faster resulting in a speedier backup process but my backups run at night and there is no activity except for our 24/7 web services. Also, the tape drive is connected via SAS.

JohnyD
Level 3
Thank you for your reply.

Also, thanks for the hint about creating 3 media sets. I must ask why it would matter if this were a D2D job or a D2T job? I would prefer my job to be disk-to-tape.

Also (again), how do you schedule an override? That would simplify the scheduling process.

Thanks!

sadie
Level 2

am running BE 2010 trial version on server2003 standard, backing up to removable disk(1TB). full backup fails with "insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service". am appending this to imported media(300 GB), containing one full backup that was created with BE on another server. OPP  and append set to infinite. backup ran for apprx 1hr and transfered 24 GB before failing. removable disk reported an error on a request to write data to media. am wondering if this is a hardware failure or something wrong with media set.

JohnyD
Level 3
Hi Sadie,

you create a new thread of your own and post your question there in order to receive a timely response. I created this thread to address a specific issue of my own. I don't mind but I think you'd get a quicker response in a thread of your own.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sorry, guess I read your origianl post wrong

The same setup of three media sets with three different OPP should stil work with B2T

Overwrite is controlled by the Job Properties.  When you create the  job you can select from  Overwrite, Append - else Overwrite, or Append - else End