cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete old media with a media set customized?

papali
Level 3

Hi everyone, I do a full backup every Saturday at midnight on external disk HD1, and then on the week I do incremental backups every 4 hours all days until the next full backup.

Now I've set a media set for my incremental backups with OPP 16-week and APP 3 hours and I moved all of my media incremental to this new media set.

I was hoping that when start the first incremental backup with this new media set, the oldest 16-week incremental were canceled, but it was not so.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help!

3 REPLIES 3

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I moved all of my media incremental to this new media set.

Generally, manually moving media is a bad idea as the media acquires the OPP and APP immediately.  In your case, all your media became overwrite protected for 16 weeks.  Best to leave media in "scratch" and let BE pull the media into a media set as needed as needed.

papali
Level 3

But if I leave the media in scratch ("leave media in scratch" mean moving them to default mediaset SCRATCH, is right?) the age media remain, would be determined by the space of the removable disk, is correct?
I want delete the incremental backups old more 16 weeks and keep only the Full Backup.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Yes, you can move them from another media set the the "scratch" media set to make them available, but that doesn't instantly reclaim disk space.  You can also run an erase job to make them available which puts them in "scratch" and reclaims disk space.