7 REPLIES 7

Daniel_Bickford
Level 2
Carl,
As much as we hate to see you downgrade, the steps are:
1. Ensure you have the backup of your 10d data and all you 10d license keys
2. Uninstall 11d and remove all data
3. Install 10d
4. Stop the Backup Exec services and copy all of the backed up data into their original location
5. Restart the Backup Exec services

If you need any clarification on the steps provided, let us know.
Thanks,
Daniel

MitchR
Level 6
You may want to add:

6. Remember to downgrade all of the agents you've installed. This will sometimes require a reboot of the server you're downgrading.

7. Step 4 means you lost the catalogs for all backups that happened after the upgrade from 10 to 11. Consider re-cataloging all tapes written to while running v11.

Tip:  Many (All?) v11d licenses will work on a v10 server. If you didn't keep track of your v10 licenses after you upgraded, try using your v11d ones before panicking.

DanielBickford
Level 6
Employee Certified
Mitchell,
Those are all very good points.  Thank you!

Kevin_Nickson
Level 4
Carl, why are you wanting to downgrade?  If you don't want to say, obviously you don't have to.

Glyn_Raymond_th
Level 3
Hi Kevin

No problem, I don't mind telling you some of the reasons why but can't tell you all due to legal action.

* The main problem.  Only 20% of the mailboxs on both our mail svrs were visible through Backup exec so couldn't be backed up.  We didn't notice straight away so would suggest EVERYONE just pls check that ALL mailboxs/data is being backed up and prove you can restore it.
* For the above reason Legacy backup's do not work.
* Grt backups do not work.
* Support gave me some bad advice which ended up being catastrophic
* CPS dosen't work for us, max's out the cpu.
* Log files of completed jobs cannot be displayed due to 'Internal error XML error'.
* The log files grow above 1gb due to backup exec failing loads and loads of emails as bad or corrupt.
* It took 3 month's to get upgrade keys from Symantec which failed to work.
* Emails stored within Enterprise vault 7.0 that have links into exchange fail as corrupt.  We are looking at abandoning a Enterprise vault rollout as we cannot trust the support anymore. 
* The software dosen't work and cannot be trusted.  Older versions were unstable but this has to be the worst release ever.
* The support is terrible.  An average call exceeds 3hours and getting anyone with some sense and knowledge around the product isn't an option.  BTW the call back option as stated dosen't work either which cost me 2days of waiting around.

Apparently, all our problems will be fixed with a hot fix very soon is the only feedback I get from support. 

Chris_Wood_-_IT
Level 3
Hey Carl!

I totally sympathise with you on your points. From the moment I began to evaluate 11D, I've had nothing but problems with it. GRT refuses to work for me too, same errors on the XLM log files and when you call support - after being on hold for 1 hour 34 minutes (!!!!) (As a corporate / enterprise customer which is rediculous), you're told to "take two hotfixes and call me in the morning"

Crazy! Symantec really need to look at their support structure!

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
Too many users calling in for 11D with issues.   Symantec management is trying to train techs for the phones.  I wish I could go back to 10D but am on XP Pro x64 AMD64.