cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to format "unrecognised media"

webwalker
Level 2

Hi,

We have just installed Backup Exec Server 2010 on a single server with a HP LTO3 tape drive.

Windows x64 2008 standard (Not Sp1) with all latest patches.

Install has gone fine, except that when I run a job to backup the system, the tape is ejected and the BE Alerts says insert media. If I put the tape back in, it just spits it out again.

If I cancel the job, insert the tape and look at the tape device under devices, the GUI shows the tape with a lable of "?" and "unrecognised media". I can perform no tasks on this tape /device except catalogue or inventory. If I try to catalogue or inventory, the tape is ejected and the BE Alerts say insert media.

Catch 22. How can I format the tape/tapes so that BE 2010 will use them?

I should point out that the tapes were used with another vendors product which didn't meet our requirements before I installed Backup Exec. I know that the server, tape drive & tapes are good.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

webwalker
Level 2

Hi,

I have finally resolved this issue. Turns out to be a GUI "Feature".

Under the devices tab, there are two folders. One is called Device Pools and the other is the ServerName. The " device pools" has "All devices" underneath it with the tape drive for the server displayed. The other folder (%ServerName%) also has the same tape drive listed underneath it.

However, if you right-click the upper tape device, you will not be able to perform any tasks on the device. If you go to the device listed under "%ServerName%", and right-click you CAN perform tasks.

Therefore, I had to select Erase from the context menu on the lower device listed, not the upper one. Once the tape was erased I was then able to format and lable the tapes and move them into the corrrect medial pools.

Quite why there is a difference in the behaviour of the context menus , I don't know, but it certainly stopped me from working.

regards

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Right click on the tape and erase it, perform an inventory and then run a backup job.

Earse will delete all the data from the tape.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

An erase will not work if the tape is not properly labeled.  Put the tape into your tape drive.  In the Devices tab, right-click on your tape drive and select label to label the tape.  Labeling a tape will erase all its content.  After the label, in the Devices tab, you should be able to see your newly labeled tape in your tape drive.

webwalker
Level 2

Hi pkh,

You are correct. Erase does not work because that option is not available in the context menu. That option is greyed out and is not selectable.

I will try labeling the tape in the way you have mentioned. I have to return to the remote site to perform this work and I will report back the status of your advice.

thank you

webwalker
Level 2

Hi,

I have finally resolved this issue. Turns out to be a GUI "Feature".

Under the devices tab, there are two folders. One is called Device Pools and the other is the ServerName. The " device pools" has "All devices" underneath it with the tape drive for the server displayed. The other folder (%ServerName%) also has the same tape drive listed underneath it.

However, if you right-click the upper tape device, you will not be able to perform any tasks on the device. If you go to the device listed under "%ServerName%", and right-click you CAN perform tasks.

Therefore, I had to select Erase from the context menu on the lower device listed, not the upper one. Once the tape was erased I was then able to format and lable the tapes and move them into the corrrect medial pools.

Quite why there is a difference in the behaviour of the context menus , I don't know, but it certainly stopped me from working.

regards

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The devices listed under the Servername section are the actual devices.  Those listed under the device pool section at like short-cuts of the device.  If you create other Device Pools, then they and the devices in them appears in the upper section.