cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to link Backup Jobs using different Selection lists?

Axman
Level 2
Could be quite an easy one but it doesn't seem so straight forward.

I want to create a Backup policy that runs one backup job and when it competes it runs the second backup job which backs up files from a different selection list.

What I have done is.

1.) Create 2 Selection lists SelectionA and SelectionB pointing to different resources to be backed up
2.) Created a new Backup Policy
3.) Added in 2 Templates to the Policy. Both identical other than the second one is set to run a pre-post command and the schedule is set to use a rule only
4.) Created a Template rule that runs TemplateA and then TemplateB after it completes.
5.) Selected the 2 Selection lists that I want and clicked o.k

It creates 4 jobs using the 2 selection lists!

All I want is 2 jobs.
Job1 with Template1 using Selection list1 runs first then Job2 with Template2 using Selection list2 should kick off after job 1 has completed .

What am I doing wrong?
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Not sure what you are doing wrong, but as a workaround, create  a CMD file containing BEMCMD  with the -01 option to release  the second job

Do a BEMCMD /? > BEMCMD.TXT to get a listing of all the switches and their usages

HardwareGuy
Level 2

nia
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hi Axman,

I suppose you use policy for these jobs. And you have 2 templates in this policy. But you also have 2 different selection lists. The bad thing with the policy is that it creates a different job for each template and for each selection list. One policy per selection list. That's why you see 4 jobs.
Why you do not try something else?
Create a job with selection A starting at 10:00PM for example.
And then create another job with selection B starting 11:00PM with a time window of 24hours.
This way you will have 2 jobs, starting first the selection A and the the selection B.
Hope that this helps.

Regards,