Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to "Implement virtual lab for SAN SSO option"

ramy_shaker
Level 4

Dears,

Kindly support me how to"Implement  virtual lab for SAN SSO option"

what is recommended virtual san software and virtual servers (VMWare or microsoft virtual  server or others) application.

thanks,

8 REPLIES 8

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I am not sure you can

Microsoft don't seem to support passthrough of SAN and SCSI devices into virtual machines in Hyper-V and VMWare don't support SAN devices for passthrough (which limited us runnign Media Servers inside of ESX in Symantec's own labs)  VMware does have some ability with SCSI passthough although usually if Adaptec cards are used.

It is for the reasons that we don't recommend running Backup Exec inside a virtual server unless you are only using Backup to disk storage.

Note there is a small posiibility that if you can present a VTL over iSCSI into each VM that you might be able to achieve something that way - however I have not seen confirmation that anyone has got this working.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Ramy,

You MIGHT be able to implement this using NPIV on VMware. We have a couple of Vms with disk presented from an EVA 6100 using NPIV. That assumes your FC switch can do so, and that you have configured VMware for that.

You will need a SAN infrastructure in order to make proper use of this.

ramy_shaker
Level 4

thanks all,

i will check again and feed you back.

ramy_shaker
Level 4

hi,

could you please support me with more details.?

CraigV

Not quite...

What do you have available in terms of hardware currently? What is your budget for new kit, and what are you wanting to accomplish?

Send those details through first, and it will be easier to help you...

ramy_shaker
Level 4

we don't have to implement on our SAN storage

we want to implement virtual servers and virtual san to make sure that is work fine and then we will implement on our live media server , SAN switsh and san storage .

CraigV

I then doubt that it is possible. If you carved out some storage on your SAN, and your FC switch zoning was correct, you wouldn't touch your live production data.

For SAN SSO to work, it needs SAN connectivity...

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you have some form of VTL that can be presented over iSCSI it might be possible - but again it is not something Symantec will have tested.

BTW sharing Disk Storage over a SAN unless it is a VTL doesn't really need SSO - although you might need CASO and there are limitations as to how a shared B2D can be used.