cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restore Exchange 2003 edb file from backup

SDI_We_re_There
Level 2

Product is BE 2010 SP3 Rev.5204

I need to restore from backup an Exchange 2003 edb file so I can extract some old e-mail. The Exchange 2003 server itself is no longer in service. I'd perfer to redirect the files to a Windows 2008 Storage Server system with adequte drive space (and not in the OS (C:\) partition), but when I attempt to restore the file, instead of restoring files there, it creates a C:\$BackupExecDefaultData$\$ShadowCopyComponentsRedirection$\ folder structure. Which won't work since I don't have the 300GB of space on that C: drive.

How do I redirect the files to the E: drive?

5 REPLIES 5

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Hmm slight concern here - when the backup of Exchange was done, was AOFO enabled? If AOFO is enabled that creates a snapshot backup of Exchange which does have some restore limitations if the version of Exchange is 2003.

Also BE has always had an active file exclusion against EDB files themselves - as such I assume that you did originally perform an Exchange agent backup and not attempt to just backup the edb from the file system?

SDI_We_re_There
Level 2

AOFO was not enabled. And yes, I did use the Exchange agent to backup the edb file.

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

. If Exchange 2003 backup was a non Snapshot backup then you can not restore it to a drive. This means edb files can not be restored as a flat files. The only option we have is to Install Exchange 2003, then create Recovery Storage Group and then restore the database to a Recovery Storage Group.

Thanks

SDI_We_re_There
Level 2

It was a snapshot backup, or that what I assume so from the following screenshot:

RestoreSelection.jpg

I had thought I had restored from backup once before sucessfully, but I don't have my notes as to what I did to make it happen.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You should see Information Store, but did you perhaps do a brick-level backup instead of an information store backup?

Otherwise check the article I wrote below and try to duplicate to disk...this will give you the *.edb which you can crack open using something like Kernel For Exchange.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

Thanks!