cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restore to a NAS via CIFS

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi guys,

Need some help here. We're rolling out Iomega StorCenter ix4-200r NAS devices at the moment.

I know they're supported on the BE 2010 R2 HCL, which is why we're going for them. I know all about backing them up, but what I'd like to know is whether or not I can restore TO them? If so, how?

Tried to browse it via the selection list as a redirected restore, but I wasn't able to click OK...

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV

...seen it already, and I can back it up. That isn't the problem...the problem is using 8TB of total storage as a restore location...hence finding out if CIFS is supported.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

What kind of OS is running on the NAS device ?

Maybe it is on the HCL as Backup Exec supports is as backup2disk device, not as fileserver.

CraigV

Hi,

As I stated it is on the HCL which is 1 of the reasons we're going for it. It is the standard OS that comes with the unit...appears to be some flavour of Linux if I connect a monitor to it...

I know you can install Windows Storage Server 2003 on certain NAS's, but not sure of this. This is also an additional cost of an OS license, so I am trying to get around this...

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I see that it is on the HCL, but what I mean is that it can be there to support Backup2Disk.

Please see this technote:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH14963

Backup Exec will not be able to back up NAS Devices that are not using the Windows 2000/2003 Operating System or that is emulating the Windows Operating System.

As BE will not be able to backup it, it will not be able to restore to it.

CraigV

...seen it already, and I can back it up. That isn't the problem...the problem is using 8TB of total storage as a restore location...hence finding out if CIFS is supported.