cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to run a Daily Backup which was missed?

Rk_Freak
Level 4

Hi,

We used to run dialy backup at 8pm every night. Due to some problem we didn't run daily backup from Monday to Wednesday.

When I observe the Job Monitor the Monday daily backup job is in Quee. We inserted tape and it completed successfully.

Now I expect to run Tuesday Daily Backup, but in the Job Monitor the Thursday Daily Backup is in Schedule at 8 pm.

What about Tuesday and Wednesday backups?

Regards,

Ram.

8 REPLIES 8

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Do you have different jobs for each week of the day?

Or does the same job run Mon-Thurs?

If the latter, I would not expect to see the "same" job queued up waiting mutlitple times.  You would just see the next scheduled exection time

Rk_Freak
Level 4

Hi Ken,

We have total 3 Jobs i.e Daily, Weekly and Monthly.

As you said Monday to Thursday same Daily job runs.

Every weekend Weekly Job runs and Every end of the month Monthly Job runs.

So you mean to say that we need to create seperate job for each day of a week?

Thanks,

Ram.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

So you mean to say that we need to create seperate job for each day of a week?

Not at all

You asked how to run the "missing" jobs.  If it is the same job and selection list, just let the Thursday job run as scheduled

Rk_Freak
Level 4

Hi Ken,

My doubt is that the daily backup is incremental. So I thought all the modifications which was done on Monday would be compared and get backed up to Monday tape when the job runs on Monday.

But when I run that job today i.e Thursday, Does it get backedup data which was modified from Monday to this Thursday?

Thanks.

Ram.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes.  An incremental job backs up all the files that are modified/added since the last full or incremental backup.

arti_mish8
Level 3
Certified

if it is differential incremental,then it takes backup from last full backup

& if it is incremental ,then it takes backup from last full\daily backup

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If a job is queued and remains queued or running beyond the start time for the next repeat of the job then when the queued job finishes, it will set the next start time based on the time it ended and not enforce your original schedule (which after all would result in another job starting immediately if it did). Hence your Monday job was queued or running through the Tuesday and Wednesday start times and the next instance was correctly queued for Thursday. If you don't want this behaviour then you would need a separate Incremental Stage for each day which would potentially then queue all the jobs until they finish in order. 

With regards DIfferentail or Incremental Backups - they do not care how much time has elapsed between jobs, they always go back to the last relevant backup to decide what to backup.

EDIT: with regards running the missing Tuesday and Wednesday backup you can elect to run the jobs now, BUT this will give you the backup data from NOW,  there is no facility to constantly monitor your server in order to create a backup as if the server was still in the past.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...unfortunately the last post was 6 weeks ago making this a dead topic frown