cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Agent for BE2012 that will work with Red Hat v3

discorobbo
Level 3

Just putting in a new Windows 2011 SBS for a client, and we're putting on the latest version of Backup Exec. They also have a Red Hat Linux server running version 3 that currently backs up to its own tape drive - but we want to install the Linux agent on it and use the new server instead.

I've looked through the support doc, and I can see that only Red Hat v5 upwards is supported for the Linux Agent. Just wondered if anyone has got it working on v3, and if so, any useful tips?

If someone knows for sure that it definitely WILL NOT work, please do let me know. Upgrading the Red Hat Linux version is not something we're planning on doing anytime soon, but the current software (the free Data Protector Express) is awful.

Thanks,
Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...best bet is to then get hold of the Admin Guide which should have the details on how to install the agent.

But check out around the forums too...if the application wasn't supported in BE 2010 for instance, but someone got it working there, this would be ideal to follow the configuration steps.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV

Hi Dave,

Just be aware, that even if you get it working, you're unsupported by Symantec.

Have you tried to configure v3 as you would v5?

Thanks!

discorobbo
Level 3

Not tried anything as yet. Just trying to see if others have tried it first and therefore know if it will work etc. This Linux server is the company's main ERP server, so I don't just want to steam right in and try it in case something goes wrong. Won't get chance to even try it until this weekend when we're putting the new SBS live and have the entire company IT to ourselves for 4 days (Jubilee bank hols in UK so perfect time!).

Not concerned about the Symantec support side of things, if it works.

CraigV

...best bet is to then get hold of the Admin Guide which should have the details on how to install the agent.

But check out around the forums too...if the application wasn't supported in BE 2010 for instance, but someone got it working there, this would be ideal to follow the configuration steps.