cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to schedule and import tape job with an autoloader

Gennifer_Hill
Level 3
hi--

how can we schedule an import tape job from a tape placed in a library i/o slot? ( the actual open slot will vary daily )

we tried just selecting all slots in the library and creating an import tape job, but were constantly prompted with a manual "clear media from slot" warning until we cancelled the job. not very hands-free..... note: that job did import the tape in the i/o slot, but the job never completed and continued to give us the above prompt.

we know we can manually do the import, but are trying to automate this entire process for obvious reasons.

thx
24 REPLIES 24

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

The "Import/Export" commands are applicable to the feature which is called as "Mailslot" or "Media access Port" or "Portal". If the library supports these features and you need to remove one particular media to this slot and make it available then Perform the following steps:

1) From the right pane in the Devices tab in Backup Exec, highlight the Slot.

2) Right Click on it and select "Export" from the shortcut menu.

The media will be available to you in media access port for removal. Refer to the Hardware information manual for more information on Media access port.

Refer to the following technote for more information:

Technote:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/259939.htm

Technote:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/243517.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Gennifer_Hill
Level 3
hi--

thanks for the reply, but the question was on IMPORT. Exporting works fine.

we need to SCHEDULE and IMPORT to ANY available slot, not just a specific slot ( as that slot would be filled after the first import ).

thx

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

As you want to import the tape, could you please elaborate the query?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Gennifer_Hill
Level 3
Hi--

so we have a dell/Adic ML6000 tape library with 6 I/O slots. we have techs who take returned offsite tapes and insert them in the I/O slots.

we want to schedule an import job to take the tape in the I/O slot and import it to any available slot in the library.

if we need to use bemcmd, what is the command line we should use to create an import script?

thx

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Try scheduling the import job and for the alerts that you receive try configuring them to automatically respond.

Please see the technote to do the same:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/192055

Thanks,

Gennifer_Hill
Level 3
sharvari--

how does that doc help us with the error messages we get when trying to run an import job to all slots ( including ones that already have media in them )?

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- What error message do you receive...

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Gennifer_Hill
Level 3
hi--

per my first post:

"were constantly prompted with a "clear media from slot" warning until we cancelled the entire job"

thx

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

You can select any number of slots to import and export.
When you use the Import utility, the slots you highlighted are checked for media.
If media is present, it is exported to the portals.
After all the media have been exported, you are prompted to insert new media into the portal so it can be imported.
This process continues until all of the requested media have been imported into the robotic library.
If your robotic library uses a media magazine, make sure no jobs are currently running and that all media are ejected from the drive and are back in the magazine slots before swapping the magazine.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Gennifer_Hill
Level 3
ok....so my original question is:

how can i automate the IMPORT ( not export ) to any available slot?

we do not want to do ANY manual process ( prompts ).

thx

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly refer the following Document:

Technote:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/259939.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Gennifer_Hill
Level 3
hi--

i saw that article, but it is for EXPORT. What is the modified command for IMPORT?

For export:
BEMCMD -o81 -a"(Robotic Library)"

What do i use instead of -o81 ???

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Here you go:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Operation | Op# | Sub-switches
Import drive slots | -o80 |* -a
| | -s
| | -ai:
| | -f
| | -pr:
| | -w

Regards,
Ashutosh

Gennifer_Hill
Level 3
ah, thank you very much. i'll give that a try.

Gennifer_Hill
Level 3
so, the bemcmd works, but i still get an alert each time:

Media Intervention: Please remove media from portal
OK- Ack
CANCEL- Cancel

This still requires manual intervention.....

I have already looked at:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/254685

But as noted in other posts, you cannot set anything for the Media Intervention.

Please advise....

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Have you not been able to set it to be cleared automatically?

Regards, Ashutosh NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Gennifer_Hill
Level 3
no. as i mentioned, the option is greyed out. any other suggestions on how we can do it?

Gennifer_Hill
Level 3
anybody?

Gennifer_Hill
Level 3
i'll assume from the lack of responses from Veritas/Symantec support that you do not have a simple option for this?