cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to update BE 12 remote agents after Live Update?

Himzo_Mihaljevi
Level 3

Hi,

Usually we upgrade remote agents after hotfixes have been installed which demands upgrading remote agent.

Our BE 12 media server is updated with Live update per today. This gives us remote agent version 12.0.1364.122 The servers we´d like to upgrade are reporting version 12.0.1364.0 

When we try to update trough Install Agents and Media Servers on other servers it reports that the remote agent already is installed on the particular remote server which holds version 12.0.1364.122 of the agent.

Copy of the RAWS32 / RAWS64 directory from the media server to the remote server and performing uninstall and install does the the trick, however we´d like to do this remotely?

What is the proper way of handling this? 

Regards Himzo

5 REPLIES 5

E_S_L
Level 3

Bump

I'm having the exact same issue.  Applying SP1 and some updates have caused the Remote Agents to increase to 12.0.1364.122.  Is it Symantec's official policy that after a patch, every Remote Agent must me removed and reinstalled?  For a production environment, that tends to slow down the adoption rate of patches to about 0.

If there's another way around it, I'd like to hear it.  I'm already getting error messages saying my agents are out of sync.

Himzo_Mihaljevi
Level 3

Hi,

My workaround this,

In the remote installation wizard where you choose what options to install. Other than the remote agent also check let us say aofo and then have it deselected so only the default value is checked ie. the remote agent then you can go on and have the agent updated or copy the agents directory structure from the media server to the targeted remote agent client and run setupaa.cmd from the RAWS32 or RAWS64 directory. That is if you only whish to upgrade the remote agent which was the case in my case.

regards Himzo

arrow_203
Level 4
Sorry to drag this out of the dregs of time... but in my particular case, I feel it's still a relevant concern.  Running the setupaa.cmd file as advised didn't work, nor did pushing out the agent via the Backup Exec console.  When I pushed the agent out from the BE console, the setup log gave me "AOFO not supported on Windows Longhorn server".  I have Backup Exec 12.5, which shows support for Windows Server 2008.

What is the supported method of updating remote agents?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You should be able to use the "Remote Agent for Windows Systems Bulk Upgrade and Update Utility"

See http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/313286.htm

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Just saw in another thread that this utility is only available in v12.5, so if you are on 12.0, you'll need to upgrade