cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hummingbird and BE Media Server

Carl_Granfelt
Level 3
Certified
I have a client who will have a 2-node Windows Server 2003 cluster with FileStor and Hummingbird software installed. As they will have approx 1.5TB of data (and are expecting rapid growth) it was suggested that BE Media Server 10d + SSO (as there are other Media Servers too) would also be installed on the cluster to do SAN based backups.

Q1: I have seen some older post about local backup selections not being available when Hummingbird had been installed on the same server/cluster. Is this still applicable in BE version 10d?

Q2: To further minimize the impact of backups, I am proposing AOFO (for snaps) & ADBO for synthetic backups (incremental to disk & synthetic to tape for archiving). Any reasons why it wouldn't be supported or recommended?

Many thanks
Carl
3 REPLIES 3

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly refer the following Document:

Local drives are not available for selection on a VERITAS Backup Exec for Windows NT and Windows 2000 server and are unavailable for backup selections when Hummingbird software is installed on the same machine.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/243607

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Carl_Granfelt
Level 3
Certified
Hello,

This is exactly the knowledgebase article I am referring to that got me asking the question in the first place! It is based on NT, Windows 2000 and BE 8.x!! What I want to know is:

1. Does this problem still exist in Windows Server 2003 and BE 10d????
2. Any reasons why Hummingbird, Windows Server 2003 Cluster, BE 10d, AOFO and ADBO would not be a supported, recommended or a compatible combination!!

Carl

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Carl,

This configuration is not explicitly tested by us hence we cannot guarantee its functionality.

==================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.