cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I/O Device Error

Martin_Pawlett
Level 4
Running Backup Exec 9.1 on Windows 2003 Server on a HP ML150 with 2 x External HP Ultrium 1 (215) and 1 x External HP Ultrium 2 (460) drives.

The server has 1 x SCSI drive connected to a SCSI Adapter (Adaptec AIC-7901), and the tape drives are connected to a different SCSI Adapter (HP U320 64bit Single Channel SCSI G2 Host Bus Adapter (374654-B21)).

The 2 Ultrium 1 drives are first and second on the SCSI chain, the Ultrium 2 is the last device on the chain, with auto termination.

The Ultrium 2 drive appears to work fine with no errors, however the backup jobs using the Ultrium 1 drives nearly always fail with “The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error”. However sometimes they work fine running the same backup job.

All devices have the latest drivers.

Any ideas what else I can try?

Thanks
Martin
2 REPLIES 2

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi,

Check out for any Event ID 5s, 7s, 9s, 11s, and 15s that may occur on system startup, or during backup.

Please refer to the following Document:

How to resolve SCSI bus timeouts
http://support.veritas.com/docs/191158

Hope it helps!

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

With reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Thanks.