cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am having issues with

Brastax
Level 2

I am having issues with BE2010 R3, GRT is enabled and I backup to tape but when I want to restore individual e-mails it does staging first with goes to Gigs.. is there now way that it can just restore that particular e-mail?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Brastax,

I branched this off onto its own discussion.

GRT backups to tape are possible, but GRT restores will need to stage to disk first as a result. This is by design, and the default location is c:\Temp. If that location doesn't have the same amount of free space as your Information Store is big, the restores will fail.

Staging to disk is part of the restore, even for a single item. You need to change the temporary staging location from C:\Temp to a drive with enough space by going to: Tools --> Options --> Microsoft Exchange.

Run the restore after this change has been made.

There is only 1 other way around this and it is to duplicate to disk manually yourself. If you don't know how to do this, read my article below which will assist you with this:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Brastax,

I branched this off onto its own discussion.

GRT backups to tape are possible, but GRT restores will need to stage to disk first as a result. This is by design, and the default location is c:\Temp. If that location doesn't have the same amount of free space as your Information Store is big, the restores will fail.

Staging to disk is part of the restore, even for a single item. You need to change the temporary staging location from C:\Temp to a drive with enough space by going to: Tools --> Options --> Microsoft Exchange.

Run the restore after this change has been made.

There is only 1 other way around this and it is to duplicate to disk manually yourself. If you don't know how to do this, read my article below which will assist you with this:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Just to explain: An Information Store backup in effect takes a copy of the Exchange EDB files as a single entity.

Our GRT process then looks inside this to enumerate the e-mails for restore and provide a method to extract an e-mail from inside this file to recover the e-mail. In order to do this process however we have to be able to mount the entire edb (and associated log files) and we can't do that directly from tape it can only be done from a disk based process. Hence we use a staging area BUT also recommend that GRT backups are done to disk as a primary target and only sent to tape as duplication jobs for Disaster Recovery Purposes.

The old Brick Level Mailbox backup method that performed MAPI backups of each mailbox achieved the same thing without needing disk based staging areas but took a lot longer to backup in the first place, so GRT was developed to achieve a restore capability from the faster Information Store backup process.