cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't get by the "Connect to Media Server" login

Level 2
Sorry if this question is weak - but I just took over this server and am trying to get backup exec running under new server parameters. When I type in admin username and password for the appropriate domain - all I get is login errors and the services can't start. What has changed in this environment is domain ip, and admin password.

Please help. I need to understand why the admin user can't login to start the services. I can't even get to the Backup Exec main console - as this "Connect to Media Server" screen won't quit till a successful login.

Thanks,
4 REPLIES 4

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hi,

Please refer to the following information which describe the rights that the Backup Exec Service account should posses.

The Backup Exec Service Account should be a member of the Domain Admin Group.

The Backup Exec Service Account must only be a member of the Domain Admins and Local Administrators

All the Backup Exec Services should run under the Backup Exec Service Account, except for the Backup Exec Remote Agent Service which should run under the Local system account.

Also in Backup Exec - Network - Logon Accounts, please verify whether the username is given in this format - 'Domainname\Username' since now the media server is in a domain. Also check whether the correct password is entered. It is always a better practice if the account is a standard account and not a restricted one.

Please get back to us with the results.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to the "answered threads" pool.

Level 2
thanks for the reply.

In active directory - I do not have any special users associated with Backup Exec. What do you mean by "Backup Exec Service Account"? Do I need to create a new user? The "Connect to media server" dialog box comes up with user - Administrator filled in. When I enter the administrator password - I still get the error. I don't understand how user - Administrator can't start the service.

Thanks,

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi

Backup Exec Service Account :

A user account configured for Backup Exec’s system services that contains a user name and password and provides the rights to log on as a service and act as a Backup Exec administrator.

All Backup Exec services on the media server run in the context of a user account configured for Backup Exec’s system services. This account can be created during Backup Exec’s installation, or an existing user account can be used.

To create a service account for
Backup Exec during installation, supply a user name and password when prompted. The account designated for Backup Exec’s services - whether it is a new account or an existing user account - will be assigned the following rights:

􀂊 Authenticate as any user and gain access to resources under any user identity.
􀂊 Create a token object, which can then be used to access any local resources.
􀂊 Log on as a service.
􀂊 Administrative rights (provides complete and unrestricted rights to the computer).
􀂊 Backup operator rights (provides rights to restore files and directories).
􀂊 Manage auditing and security log.

Due to security implementations in Microsoft Small Business Server, the service account must be "Administrator."

Please refer to the Admnistrators Handbook for further information : page number 799 onwards

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.0 for Windows Servers Administrator's Guide (English)
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/258734.htm

Thank you .

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.