Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDR 10.X with SBS 2003 SP1

Clif_Godfrey
Level 3
Partner
All,
I am working with a Small Business Server 2003 system and I am attempting to build the Intelligent Disaster Recovery CD. I've managed to work through the issue with the NETLOGON.CHG file, and though an issue with WINDOWSUPDATE.LOG being locked and was able to create the CD. Now when I boot up my recovery server (I'm testing to another machine to ensure that everything works) it boots up to the blue screen portion of windows setup, takes my ASR disk, but gets to a point and complains about SP1.cab being missing.

The error that I'm seeing is:
Value 0 on the line in section with key "sp1.cab" Setup cannot continue. To quit setup, press F3

I pointed it to C:\windows when I told it to create the media, but the Windows Media that I provided it was the SBS 2003 w/sp1 integrated media (supplied with the server by Dell).

Thanks,
Clif Godfrey
9 REPLIES 9

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

As you mentioned in this post that "Windows Media that I provided it was the SBS 2003 w/sp1 integrated media (supplied with the server by Dell)."

Will it be possible for you to use the Windows SBS 2003 cd without having SP1 integrated provided by Microsoft ?

Please do this and check the results.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Clif_Godfrey
Level 3
Partner
Ajrit,

As most small businesses, I pretty much only have the Media available to me that was shipped with the system by my server vendor. I've been attempting to get a CD that DOES NOT have SP1 integrated from Dell but have not had success as of yet. From what I can tell, SP1 for Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 was released around June/July of 2005. I'd assume that a company such as Symantec/Veritas would have been testing their products with the beta versions of these service packs ahead of time. I do not believe that I am being unreasonable in thinking that now, almost 1 full year since the release of this service pack that you would have patched your product to work with this version of the media.

Clif Godfrey

CALOGERO_SAPIA
Level 4
I'd have to agree with Clif as I'm having the same problem. What has been suggested is a workaround (which I've yet to test). I think this problem should be addressed ASAP. It is not unreasonable to imagine Microsoft releasing another Service Pack in the near future and getting hold of older installation media becomes even more difficult

CALOGERO_SAPIA
Level 4
I have tried what has been suggested and it has not worked. I built an IDR bootable CD image using Win SBS 2003 Std RTM OEM CD

During the installation I get the message:
Set-up cannot copy the file: DATA.CAB
...make sure the Windows CD is in the CD-ROM drive.

So, seeing as it has failed getting this file off the IDR CD I tried the CD mentioned above. It did not work. I then tried the original Win SBS 2003 SP1 CD and that didn't work either. Just in case I tried putting in Disk #2 and guess what that failed too.

This is unacceptable! There must be a way to resolve this.

I'd just like to point out that I'm doing the test on the same hardware. The only change is the hard disks.

I tried creating a bootable IDR CD with a Windows Server 2003 Std disk as well by the wizard complains that my Product ID does not match the installation media

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I'm not surprised that an OEM cd fails as well as the slipstreamed CD

Veritas/Symantec have ignored this problem since MS started releasing SP1 slipstreamed CDs almost 18 months ago, so don't expect any viable response now.

IMNSHO, IDR is a worthless POS in the first place, and you should be able to get your money back for it.

But that's just my opinion

CALOGERO_SAPIA
Level 4
Is there any point in phoning technical support or am I likely to be wasting my time?

Presumably one is entitled to phone support in the first year of purchase?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
One would presume incorrectly. There isi NO free phone support, not during the first 90 days, not even during Eval

But at this point it may be the only point of attack that you have.

But again, this problem has been ignored for at least 18 months, so I doubt that there is any kind of work around for it.

Doug_Dafforn
Not applicable
One thing you can try is to replace the txtsetup.sif file in the IDR iso image with the one from the actual sbs2003/r2 CD. The file is located under the I386 folder. You need an iso editor in order to do this.

This did get me past the error message you are seeing; however, I still have not been able to perform a recovery because later in the GUI portion I encounter the message "Setup cannot start the recovery-application C:\WINDOWS\system32\bkupexec\bedrwiz.exe /sifpath=C:\WINDOWS\repair\asr.sif".
The return code was 0x3".

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Did you try with the non SP integrated CD? If yes, what happens?Does it give any error message, if yes, At what stage does it give you an error?

Please describe the step by step approach that you follow.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.