cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDR: CD or HD as source?

Brian_Fluet
Level 3
After struggling with getting the IDR Wizard to finish I finally used the Server2003 CD as the source instead of C:\Windows. Since the install of Server2003 is customizable aren't I losing the specifics selected during install when using the CD as the IDR source?
6 REPLIES 6

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hi Brian,

Can you elaborate the issue in details ?

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Brian_Fluet
Level 3
I'm looking for insight and understanding rather than a solution to a specific issue...

When running the IDR wizard, the Server2003 install location on the local drive can not be used as the source for creating the image because of open files, netlogon.chg and windowupdate.log are the two that appear regularly in postings on this forum. According to support document 276221, the original Server2003 CD should be used as the source. I concerns me that by using the CD, installed Server2003 options, components, etc. will not be in captured in the IDR image. Is an issue?

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Do you receive the error message "Error opening file . The process could not access the file because it is being used by another process." while creating the iso image?

Thank You,

Shweta

Brian_Fluet
Level 3
Yes when using c:\windows as the source. First it was Netlogon.chg which I got past following Document 277256. Then it was Windowsupdate.log for which I could not find a solution. At that point I used the original Server2003 CD instead. It's not logical that I have to create my IDR with something other than the actual install of the OS that I would need to recover.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

You can refer to the below mentioned technote which talks about this issue:

During the CD Creation portion of Intelligent Disaster Recovery (IDR), if additional files are located in the same location as the Windows media on the hard drive or remote network share, those files will be copied to the ISO file.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/276221

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Brian_Fluet
Level 3
That is exactly my point! That technote says:

"During the CD creation portion of IDR, additional files outside of the Windows 2000/2003/XP media may be copied into the ISO file if the location of Windows 2000/2003/XP media is located on a hard drive or remote network location, and additional files are in the same folder."

It also says the workaround to the open files issue is to use the original Windows CD as the Windows media location.

Based on this technote, it is normal to copy additional files during the creation of the IDR CD those "additional files" won't be copied if the media location is the CD. Obviously Symantec considers those "additional files" important so my question remains, what is being lost when these "additional files" are not captured as when using the original Windows CD as the media source?