cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDR Preparation Wizard Fails

Anonim_W
Level 3
I am running Veritas v10.1.5629.0 on Windows Server 2003. I'm trying to set up the Intelligent Disaster Recovery option, but the preparation wizard fails while creating the CD image. The following steps execute successfully:

Building media and changer type tables.
Reading CD Directories...
Parsing txtsetup template...

However, during the Copying blocks... step, the following error pops up:

Error opening "C:\WINDOWS\WINDOWSUPDATE.LOG"
The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

I can't kill the process accessing this file because I believe it is the OS. I also don't know of a way to exclude this file from being included in the IDR image. What can I do so that the IDR preparation wizard can complete successfully?
3 REPLIES 3

Asim_Malik
Level 4
Disable automatic update of windows and then run IDR preparation wizard.

Hope this helps!

aravind_kondapa
Level 6
For a work around try doing this:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/276221

Otherwise you can try:
>Right-click the windowsupdate.log file, and then select Properties
>Click the Security tab
>Under Groups and User Names add System
>Click the System account, click Deny - Full Control to change all of the permissions to Deny, and then click OK
>Restart the computer
>Once logged on the computer, rename the windowsupdate.log file to windowsupdate.old
>Then start the IDR Preparation Wizard
>Reboot the server once the IDR wizard is completed. This will recreate a new windowsupdate.log file at startup.

NOTE: If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Anonim_W
Level 3
Changing the ACL on the windowsupdate.log file and restarting did not solve the problem, and disabling automatic updates also did not solve the problem.

I was able to complete the wizard by copying the contents of the Windows Server 2003 Install CD to a remote share, and using that directory as my "WINDOWS" directory to create the contents of the ISO file.