cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Illegal xml character

Judy_Isaksen
Level 2
I cannot get the backup job log to display. The error is Illegal xml character. I've tried the solutions provided on the Forum to no avail. (Created new backup job and installed MSXLM SP2). Why doesn't xml load properly? I can't see reasons for failed jobs without it!
Frustrated!!!!!
7 REPLIES 7

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

To resolve this issue, verify that the latest service pack for Microsoft XML has been applied to the system.

Refer the following Microsoft articles to obtain the latest service pack for XML:

How to obtain the latest Microsoft XML 4.0 service pack
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;818409

How To Upgrade the Microsoft XML Parser
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;324460#2

Reboot the server after installing this service pack.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Judy_Isaksen
Level 2
I already did that and I explained that in my comments. What now?

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Do none of the backup job logs open or does the error occur only with failed jobs? What is the exact error message? Had you rebooted the server after applying the MSXML pack? What is the OS on which backup exes is installed? Ensure that you have the latest Windows SP on it too.

Revert with details to above if the issue persists.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.

Judy_Isaksen
Level 2
Hello,

The problem occurs with both failed and successful jobs and it's intermittent. Today the log opened fine, but last week I had 3 logs that failed to open in XML format. The error message is "Illegal xml character".

I did reboot the server after applying the XML service pack and I am current on both Windows and Backup Exec updates. The operating system is Windows 2003 SP1.

Thanks,
Judy

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
Try creating a new Job and let that run. You can do more than one Job to test it.

If that helps. Recreate your jobs.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Dennis_Jones
Not applicable
I have had this same issue with two of my clients. The Microsoft XML update has not provided a fix in either of them. I am now trying the re-creation of the backup job method now. Just wondering if anyone saw this work on this issue? Thanks

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

Did the re-creation of the backup job work?

Please update us on the same.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.