cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing/Cataloging Media from 10d to 12.5

Alvin_Schmucker
Level 2

I am currently running BEWS 10d.  I have an eval of 12.5 installed on another server.  I am trying to take a backup tape that was created in 10d, and restore data off of it.  I put the LTO2 tape into my new LTO3 drive, the label shows up fine in 12.5.  I inventoried the drive, catalogued the media, and then when I go to actually restore from it, things get weird. 

The servers that were backed up onto this media show up under View by Resource, but when I drill down into them, the individual drive letters are there, but no folder structures or files.  Same way with Exchange backup that is also on this media.  It is listed, and has the First Storage Group, but nothing beneath that. 

When I switch to View by Media, this media is not even listed, even though it is listed in my "Keep Data Indefinitely" media set (and has been inventoried and catalogued).

What am I doing wrong?  How can I upgrade to 12.5 and still read/restore from my existing media?

Message Edited by Alvin Schmucker on 10-24-2008 12:41 PM
8 REPLIES 8

G-Mana
Level 2

I am experiencing the same exact situation, whereby a recent upgrade with a fresh install has rendered my 10d tapes useless for recovery (not backup).  Is Backup Exec 12.5 cataloging process not compatible with the 10d backup encoding on the tape?  Just as the original message mentions, the Backup Exec 12.5 creates the catalogs with success, I can see the contents and utilization of that 10d tape, but when I try to restore from that tape or media, it is unavailable.  It is though the 12.5 catalog process does not record the 10d tape specifics into the new 12.5 database.  Backups with 12.5 work well with no issues and I can restore from those backups, however my original tapes with the 10d backups cannot be restored or recovered in any manner.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Details of my current configuration:

Backup: Dell PV132T Ultrium LTO-2 Library w/IBM Quantum Drive

Server:  Microsoft WIndows 2008 Enterprise x64 SP1

Backup Software:  Backup Exec 12.5 x64  Media Server Version 12.5 Rev 2213

Database:  Microsoft SQL 2005 SP2

Errors message received trying to restore from that cataloged tape:  The selected media was not found in the catalogs.  You must first catalog the media if you want to use it for restore operations.

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

Was that for a full backup and nothing in the directories? If you do differentials or incrementals there might be nothing backed up and you would need to go back to the last full backup.

If you use differentials or incrementals, I just explained this in detail here: https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=be12_general&thread.id=2297

Message Edited by Kevin Cotreau on 12-09-2008 07:07 AM

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6
Incidentally, I mostly run full backups, but I just tested this. I ran an differential on a directory that I know had not changed, and when I looked at the tape, there was no data since it is already on the most recent full backup.

G-Mana
Level 2

Kevin, Thanks for your help!  I only run full backups and to make sure I am clear, I am trying to catalog (and ultimately restore from) a "full" backup that was originally created in BE 10d and then try to catalog that specific tape for use in my new install of BE12.5 x64.  All the hardware and software works fine with 12.5, backups/restores from all my other "full" 12.5 backups with those tapes, but with tapes that were backed up from BE10d and cataloged and inventoried in BE12.5, no luck getting to restore from them. 

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

OK, I had to ask about the type of backups since I JUST had a guy tell me he had blank directories too.

Here are a couple more ideas, the third being more likely:

First, I doubt you are overlooking this, but check out this document and make sure you uncheck the beginning and ending backup dates: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290757.htm.

Second, this was interesting: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/305461.htm.

Third, if you go to Tools>Options>Catalog and uncheck (temporarily for the duration of the cataloging) "Storage media-based catalogs". It will take a long time to catalog each tape, but you might be successful. You might also consider changing the catalog directory there too so as to rule out corruption. Here is what found written about storage media-based catalogs:

"Select this option to allow Backup Exec to read the catalog information from the media.

Media-based catalogs allow quick cataloging of media that are not included in the disk-based catalog (for example, media that was written by another installation of Backup Exec). This feature enables media to be cataloged in minutes, rather than the hours required with traditional file-by-file cataloging methods.

If you want to create a new catalog by having Backup Exec read each file block, clear this option. Clearing this option is only recommended if normal catalog methods are unsuccessful.

If you uncheck Request all media in the sequence for catalog operations, then the Use storage media-based catalogs check box cannot be selected.

You cannot use Granular Recovery Technology if you select this option."

G-Mana
Level 2

Kevin, the third option worked perfectly.  I didn't see or understood that specific option, but after an hour of cataloging, I was able to see the detailed contents of the tape and allow me to select those files for restoration.  Thank you very much for your detailed help!  It was spot on!  Also I change the catalog directory from your suggestion but the results were the same, so I went back to the orginal catalog location and assume their was no corruption in the database...Phew!

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6
I am glad that third option worked for you. Hopefully it will also work for Alvin.

ydnah2
Level 2
I have very similar problem like Alvin. However, i tried the three options above but it did not help. We were using v9.1 but now use v12.5.

Now we need to import like around 20 LTO3 month end tapes created using v9.1.
Currently it reads the tape labels correctly and the catalog job status returns successful, but byte-count always tell 0. Surely, when I try to restore by the specific media, it complains, the selected media is not found in the catalogs.

I have tried uncheck "Storage media-based catalogs" the option. It does not seem to be the trick. One thing I notice, with this box check or uncheck, the catalog job finishes in 5 min.

Please help as we will not be able to roll back now.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
David