Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistent Media recongnition - cleaning media

Mlawson
Level 2
I have the following:

Windows 2003 Standard SP1
Veritas Backup Exec Version 10 Build 5520
Adaptec 29160 SCSI adapter with Driver Version: 6.4.630.100 installed (with the Exabyte Autoloader being the only device on the scsi chain)
Exabyte Packetloader 1x10 1u VXA2
   - Library Firmware: A10D
   - Tape Drive Firmware; 210E

Here is my delima:  It seems that at random time Veritas will deteced some or all of the media as cleaning media.  I have contacted Exabyte serveral times with this issue and they claim nothing is wrong with library or tape drive.  I have even had some tapes replaced and new ones purchased.  After replacement of tapes the problem disappeared for a while but now it is back.  I have cleaned the tape drive but stills inconsistent detection.  I do use the bar code labels provided by Exabyte but do not currently have any bar code rules setup as I only have one type of tape drive (and only one tape drive anyway). 

I will also state that I have the same issue with the same  Exabyte Autoloaders at different clients, same autoloader but different version of Vertias - similar results with the media being detected as "cleaning media".

Any ideas? 
1 REPLY 1

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
barcodes - does VXA-2 have distinct barcodes for cleaning tapes? I use LTO-2 and 3 and the cleaning barcodes must start with the characters "CLN".

Presumably you have designated a slot in your loader in BE as a cleaning slot. I also partition my loader so that the cleaning slot is in a partition on its own.