cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to Backup Exec 12.5

NeoX5
Level 3

I recently did an upgrade from Backup Exec 12 to 12.5 and now I am receiving frequent backup failures.  Most of the errors are:

"Final error: 0xe00084c7 - A tape read/write error has occurred. This is usually caused by dirty read/write heads in the tape drive. Clean the tape drive, and then try the job again. If the problem persists, try a different tape. You may also need to check for problems with cables, termination, or other hardware issues. Final error category: Backup Media Errors"

"Final error: 0xe00084ca - The data being read from the media is inconsistent. Final error category: Backup Media Error"

I am not sure what is really causing as these are the same tapes that were used when we had Backup Exec 12 and even tried a new tape that worked last week but failed this week with the above message.  I have cleaned the drive but the above error happens more often than it should. So I have tried cleaning and new media...

I am thinking it be a driver issue as Backup Exec updated the drivers or it could just be a cleaning media issue.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Another messages that are appearing are:

"Final error: 0xe00084ca - The data being read from the media is inconsistent. Final error category: Backup Media Error" 

"Final error: 0xe00084ec - A tape read/write error has occurred. This is usually caused by dirty read/write heads in the tape drive. Clean the tape drive, and then try the job again. If the problem persists, try a different tape. You may also need to check for problems with cables, termination, or other hardware issues. Final error category: Backup Media Errors"

2 REPLIES 2

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

I think it is coincidence regarding the upgrade, and unfortunately, I strongly suspect that your tape hardware may be failing. Here is what I would do:

First I would download and install the latest drivers. You just need to download and run the following file, and it will install automatically:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/316393.htm (32-bit)

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/316395.htm (64-bit)

Double check after that you have a Symantec driver by going into Device Manager and looking at the properties.

Next I would clean the drive and run any drive diagnostics you can get from the manufacturer. If you get hardware errors, then you have your answer. If you get no errors on the diagnostics, then move on.

Then I would long erase or format one tape to test with. Note: Format is not available for LTO tapes, only long erase. Then try a test backup. If that works, try another tape and see if your success is repeatable.

NeoX5
Level 3

I have contacted our server provider and they provided another tape drive as the server is still under warranty, however, I am still receving the same problem.

Anymore suggestions?

I have tried the drivers as well but when the backup starts to write the light starts to flash, sometimes delayed and will write a for a while before flashing.  Either way the backup will reach a point and not finish and prompt for cleaning and once cleaned and another tape is used it will continue the backup and sometimes even complete successfully but requiring another cleaning after.

I have used new media, new cleaning media, different drivers and the Symantec Tape Drivers.