cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect block size issue - again and again

Igor_Duzevic
Level 2
I see that after tons of complains about this very same issue there is no concrete solution from Veritas support staff.
Since I have number of BENT installations (9.1 and 10.0) I watch these forums regularly and this issue with incorrect block size is more than often. Regardless of OS/hardware/service packs installed lot of administrators run into this, which is now safe to say, bug.

It is not normal that you have to long erase ALL your tapes to workaround this bug. And then to find out that didn't do the trick.

Once again I'm asking for some concrete help regarding this bug:

Again on different location one of my clients reported this error with incorrect block size,
they have W2k3 SBS installed with BENT 10.0.
For a couple of weeks backups ran fine and than they start to fail with the same error message.

I tried that technote 190750 (btw, did that help anyone?) and no good.
Re-installed and installed number of various drivers.
Did what I've done last time to work around and that is to install latest Veritas tape drivers - didn't help.

Now I'm running out of options and facing serious situation with my client who paid a lot of money for implementation of Veritas Backup software which isnt working at all.

Thank you and regards,
Igor Duzevic

P.S.
I did not experience this problem on any of my 9.1 installations, frankly I cannot advise my clients to upgrade to 10.0. Should I expect this error on every 10.0 installation after short period of time?
2 REPLIES 2

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

We wish to clarify that this is not a known issue.
- However please specify the exact model of your drive.
- Are you getting any event ids 7, 9, 11 and/or 15?
- Also please refer the following technote.
Title:
How to troubleshoot issues with a Robotic Library or Tape Drive in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0
http://support.veritas.com/docs/255501

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Igor_Duzevic
Level 2
Thank you for reply, further tech details follow:

- Drive: SEAGATE DAT 9SP40-000 SCSI (first couple of weeks while backups ran OK drive had VERITAS drivers 5.1, then tried with Microsoft drivers and Certance. At this moment drive is updated with Veritas drivers)
- I'm not getting any of mentioned event IDs

regards,
Igor Duzevic