Did you mean: 

Incremental Backups

escoba
Level 4

Hello I have ascenario;
When I do carry out incremental Backups on afolder file, for example

Day 1 and Day 3 Successful
But it failed on Day 2

Does Day 3 have the work I failed to backup on Day 2?

I am also trying to backup while people are working (modifying these folder files) and the server realy slows down. The folder is 1.6TB in size.

Any tricks for improving on these server speed,

Server Specs;

RAM: 32.0 GB

64 Bit OS

Processor: Intel Xeon CPU X5675  @ 3.07GHZ

Server 2008R2 Service Pack 1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Meaning if the archieve bit of the file is reset, it will not be backep up on Day 3. Correct If my backup misses on Day 4 then the Incremental on Day 5 shall backup what I missed on Day 4. Correct Any comments on how to increase the speed the of the server? Depends on the currect configuration, without specs it's hard to say how to speed up the server. You will have to monitor the performance to see where the bottleneck is (cpu, memory, disk, network)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Depends on where the backup was when it failed.

I think BE will reset the archive bit directly after a file has been backuped. If the backup stops/fails after that point, the archive bit of the file is reset, so it will not be backuped the next incremental backup if it has not changed.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Does Day 3 have the work I failed to backup on Day 2?

Yes and no.  If you are using the archive bit method, then you may only backup the files partially.  For example, you have 10 files.  Your Day 2 backup failed after backing 5 files.  These 5 files would have their archive bit reset and thus would not be on the day 3 backup.  The other 5 files would be on the Day 3 backup because their archive bits are not set.

If you are using the modified time method, then all the files that should be backed up on Day 2 would nor be on the Day 3 backup.

escoba
Level 4

Meaning if the archieve bit of the file is reset, it will not be backep up on Day 3,

If my backup misses on Day 4 then the Incremental on Day 5 shall backup what  I missed on Day 4.

Some highlight please, and

Any comments on how to increase the speed the of the server?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Meaning if the archieve bit of the file is reset, it will not be backep up on Day 3. Correct If my backup misses on Day 4 then the Incremental on Day 5 shall backup what I missed on Day 4. Correct Any comments on how to increase the speed the of the server? Depends on the currect configuration, without specs it's hard to say how to speed up the server. You will have to monitor the performance to see where the bottleneck is (cpu, memory, disk, network)