cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incremental backup for SQL Server 2005 Using Backup Exec 2012.

raguyazhin
Level 3

Hi

We are Recently Upgraded Backup Exec 2010 R3 to 2012. Our Sql Server Backup Plan is daily Full Backup and Every 6 hours Diff Backup and Every 15 Min Once Log Backup(Incremental Backup). and every day full backup tape must moved on offsite location. In Previous we could create a separate jobs for Incremental and Diff Backups But We didn't create a Incremental and Diff Backups Separately. How do i reach my target without affecting a our backup paln.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You can still run a Full,Incremental (log and differential) backups and also target the respective backups to different storage.

-Create a backup job (dont select "one time backup").

-Select SQL dbs.

-Click "Edit" on backup methods on right side.Full and incremental should be already selected. By clicking on "Add backup jobs my method", you can select one more incremental method. So there should be Full and 2 Incremental methods now for you.

-Now click on "Microsoft SQL" agent on left pane.

-you will have full and 2 incrementals. You can change the "Incremental method for Microsoft SQL" option to "LOG" and "Differential" respectively. So you can have "Full", "incremental (log)" and "incremental (differential)" methods now for SQL.

-Click on "storage" on left pane. You can select the storage accordingly for all different backup methods.And also move teh desired tape to offsite.

Please let me know if above was useful.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You can still run a Full,Incremental (log and differential) backups and also target the respective backups to different storage.

-Create a backup job (dont select "one time backup").

-Select SQL dbs.

-Click "Edit" on backup methods on right side.Full and incremental should be already selected. By clicking on "Add backup jobs my method", you can select one more incremental method. So there should be Full and 2 Incremental methods now for you.

-Now click on "Microsoft SQL" agent on left pane.

-you will have full and 2 incrementals. You can change the "Incremental method for Microsoft SQL" option to "LOG" and "Differential" respectively. So you can have "Full", "incremental (log)" and "incremental (differential)" methods now for SQL.

-Click on "storage" on left pane. You can select the storage accordingly for all different backup methods.And also move teh desired tape to offsite.

Please let me know if above was useful.

raguyazhin
Level 3

Hi Rahul

Thanks for your Reply. It is very helpful to me for how to configure Incremental and Differential in a same job.

Already I Created a Seven Separate(Sun,Mon,Tue..) Backup jobs for SQL Server DB Daily and Duplicate To Tape job Also.

Now How Can I configure Incremental Log Backup for Every 15 mini for SQL Databases Daily? 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

IN BE 2012, you cannot create both incremental and differential backups within the same job stream.  This is because mixing the two methods often get users into trouble when it comes to restoring data.

As for your logs, you would have to create a seperate set of jobs with a full and incrementals.  However, I do not see a Restart Interval, so you might not be able to do 15 minutes incremental backups.

raguyazhin
Level 3

Hi

I Don't a incremental and Differential in  Same Job.

I Want Only these things.

How do I Configure Incremental backup Separate?

Because already i create a Seven Separate Full Backup job for Full Backup for Daily Day in week.

So Now I Want Create a Incemental Log Backup Under in Which Backup ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To backup your logs, do the following

1)Edit one of your exisitng full backups

2) Add in an incemental job

3) Click on Microsoft SQL and select log for your incremental job.

ScotH
Level 4

I have followed the procedure above to backup only the SQL logs, but the incremental job is backing up the same resources as under the Full backup (both the drives AND the logs).  I have excluded the drives under Exclusions, but this does not prevent the problem.