Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Infinite Appendable Media is Not Appendable

Alex_Leung
Level 3
I'm having a strange issue.
I'm running Veritas 9.1 Rev 4691
I have a Dell PowerVault 136T tape library with 4 SDLT tape drives.
I've confirmed with Dell support that all drivers and firmware are up-to-date and that there are no problems with the tape library itself.

I have a media set that has been configured to "Infinite - Don't Allow Overwrite" and "Infinite - Allow Append". There are currently 10 tapes already assigned to that media set. 7 of which are full and have a capacity of 0. And as expected, these tapes have "Not Appendable" under the Appendable Until column.

The other 3 tapes have some data written on them. However, they do still have space remaining. (see attached picutre). But, as you can see, those tapes are also reading as "Not Appendable" under the Appendable Until column. Why is that? Why is a tape that has space on it, and part of an Infinite Appendable media set NOT appendable?

I've tried cleaning all the tape drives. I've tried moving the offending tapes to another media set and then moving them back in hopes it'll reset the appendable period. The tapes are brand new. Have no Hard Read or Write errors.

Any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2

tom_welch
Not applicable
Having the same (or similar) problem. I insert blank tapes and they are almost immediately changed to "not appendable". One 200GB tape only wrote 4 gigs before becoming write protected and not appendable, the backup job didn't even complete. Screenshot below. I have tried to run the "Robotic Library Inventory" report however the report fails to run. The overwrite period is set to 13 weeks, as is the appendable period.

Another thing that catches my attention is the compression ratio - how is it that the backup uses 15% MORE space than the original data?

Alex_Leung
Level 3
I think I have determined what the problem is.
As I mentioned, I have 4 SDLT tape drives. I noticed that one of the tape drives has particularly more hard write errors (38) than all the other tape drives (2-8).
I disabled this "bad" drive and this weekend, all tapes wrote to capacity before being set to "Unappendable".
I will keep this tape drive disabled until I can replace it and let you know what my results are.