KingElka
Level 2

Hi !
pLease l need your help about Backup Exec Licences
We use your products in my company since many years and
now we want to renew our licences.
We are using BAckup Exec 2010 and our licence will expire at 31 March 2012
my questions are :
- is it necessary to buy another licence ( Backup Exec 2012 for exemple ) if we 
don't need this new products ? 
- the aplication  (symantec backup exec server )renewal and agents renewal are both required ? 
- what is the real purpose of Backup exec 2010 agent for windows system  (EXPRESS BAND S )and 
agent for microsoft for sql ( bande S) ?  
- what is the utility of OPTION DESKTOP AND LAPTOP on Backup EXEC 2010?
- if l renew the application is it necessary to renew agents ? 
Thanks in advance, yours answers will help us to define our needs and take a good decision about products renewal.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Backup Exec license NEVER expires, what expires is your maintenance or support contract.

is it necessary to buy another licence ( Backup Exec 2012 for exemple ) if we 

Not necessary to buy another license simply renew you support contract. With valid support contract
Symantec will provide you free upgrade license key of the latest version of BE.

- the aplication  (symantec backup exec server )renewal and agents renewal are both required ?

Its always recommended to use BE media server and remote agent of the same version. 

what is the real purpose of Backup exec 2010 agent for windows system  (EXPRESS BAND S )and 

Remote Agent for Windows allows to backup remote server(any windows server apart from media server)

what is the utility of OPTION DESKTOP AND LAPTOP on Backup EXEC 2010?

DLO is used to backup desktop and laptop.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Backup Exec license NEVER expires, what expires is your maintenance or support contract.

is it necessary to buy another licence ( Backup Exec 2012 for exemple ) if we 

Not necessary to buy another license simply renew you support contract. With valid support contract
Symantec will provide you free upgrade license key of the latest version of BE.

Its always recommended to use BE media server and remote agent of the same version. 

what is the real purpose of Backup exec 2010 agent for windows system  (EXPRESS BAND S )and 

Remote Agent for Windows allows to backup remote server(any windows server apart from media server)

DLO is used to backup desktop and laptop.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

To expand on Amol's response a little.  You use it to backup user data on Desktops and Laptops.  it cannot be used for Disaster Recovery

You would have to re-build the computer and then restore the user data

tunji
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi,

i need an assistance for backup exec renewal  license

My  backup exec 2010R3 has expire and place an order for RENEWAL. once the license came out.

I upgrade my backup exec 2010 R3 to backup exec 2012.I input the Serial Number during the installation and backup Exec 2012 indicate it has  MAINTENACE AGENT FOR APPLICATION AND DATEBASE .

On the console it show Trial product and i have to unistall and replace it with my previous backup exec 2010R3. 

On renewal assistance for backup exec 2010 its show QuickStart Edition

Does't mean that renewal license for backup exec 2010 would not work for backup exec 2012.

i attach all print screen of each stage.

I need clearification for this.    

FASPro
Not applicable
Accredited

Hi Tunji

As per the following Technote http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH178483

You may found the following:

Backup Exec 2012 will not accept license keys for prior versions.
          Prior versions of Backup Exec will not accept Backup Exec 2012 SLFs for product activation

You have to contact Symantec Licensing team in order to get the renewal licenses for BE2012. (remember you have to add licenses by importing SLF file provided by Symantec Licensing Support)

Product Activation & Licensing: http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/licensing/activation/index.jsp

Best Regards