cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert Overwritable Media

tgilmer
Level 2

BE 2014 Hp G2 Autoloader.

Backup job failed with "Please insert overwritable media into the robotic library using the import command". The Storage tab shows the media is overwritable.

When I run the import I get the message "Please insert media into the portal". The G2 Command View shows the tape sitting in the mailbox.

Not sure why BE is refusing to import a tape that it says is overwritable.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

tgilmer
Level 2

You hit the nail on the head. I was moving the tape to the mailslot with the autoloader and trying to run an Import library using BE. The proper method is to use BE to export the tape. After doing this, the Import Library resulted in the backup starting.

The tapes are protected for 2 days.Last nights tape was modified on 1/16/2016 and was marked as Overwritable in BE Storage. So, last night, why did BE issue the "insert Overwritable media" message? Hiccup, or just one of those unexplained things.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Are you importing the media via the autoloader, or via Backup Exec? If via the autoloader, then you'd need to inventory or scan the slot to make sure it is available within BE.

Anything done on a hardware level and Backup Exec isn't aware of it. Best bet would be to create the Import job within BE itself and let it do the necessary.

And also make sure you can import into a free slot too...the G2 only takes 8 tapes, and any tape in a mail slot wouldn't be accepted. A tape would have to be exported first.

THanks!

tgilmer
Level 2

You hit the nail on the head. I was moving the tape to the mailslot with the autoloader and trying to run an Import library using BE. The proper method is to use BE to export the tape. After doing this, the Import Library resulted in the backup starting.

The tapes are protected for 2 days.Last nights tape was modified on 1/16/2016 and was marked as Overwritable in BE Storage. So, last night, why did BE issue the "insert Overwritable media" message? Hiccup, or just one of those unexplained things.

Thanks.