cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install Backup Exec 12,5 to other server than the Library attached server

Christos_E
Level 2
Partner

I have two server, server A and sever B. my Library is attached to server B, and I want to install Backup Exec 12,5 on server A. Is it possible? What agents am I going to need to install? I want to backup both servers. Is there any special procedure I need to follow during the installation in order to make server A “recognize” the Library on Server B?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The initial problem is that on server B I have installed Oracle Databases, and the server (which is 6-7 years old) has already performance issues.

So, why can't you attach the library to server A and install BE media server?

2) It may not be creating issues while installing, but i don't think it is a wise desicion to install BE media server on  a database server. (Which already had performance issues.)

If tape library is attached to server B not for any specific work, then attach the drive with server A and install BE in it. Install Oracle agent on server B and configure Oracle backup.

Regards...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  The tape library must be attached to the media server i.e Server A.  You would then need a remote agent licence to back up Server B.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

In General configuration, tape devices should be attached to the server in which you are going to install BE.

With the installation of Backup Exec media server a remote agent also will get installed by default.

For backing up the second server you have to install remote agent on that. (RAWS- for windows, RALUS- for unix machines).

If you have any other applications like sql,exchange etc and you want to backup those then you have to install the application specific agents.

Regards...

Christos_E
Level 2
Partner

The initial problem is that on server B I have installed Oracle Databases, and the server (which is 6-7 years old) has already performance issues. Two more questions:

1.       How much is the performance going to be decreased if I install Backup Exec 12,5 on Server A?

2.       Is there any way that I am going to have a problem installing SQL Express (the default instance of Backup Exec) on the same server with my Oracle Databases?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The initial problem is that on server B I have installed Oracle Databases, and the server (which is 6-7 years old) has already performance issues.

So, why can't you attach the library to server A and install BE media server?

2) It may not be creating issues while installing, but i don't think it is a wise desicion to install BE media server on  a database server. (Which already had performance issues.)

If tape library is attached to server B not for any specific work, then attach the drive with server A and install BE in it. Install Oracle agent on server B and configure Oracle backup.

Regards...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

1. It's like asking how long is a piece of strings...not to be funny. BE, like any application, will add some sort of overhead, but how much depends on things like:

* Server hardware - RAM, CPU performance, # of disks and in what RAID

* What your server is already doing/hosting.

* How much you have in free resources generally. Less resources mean that when BE runs there is always the chance your server's performance drops more.

* What time you run your backups, from where, and to where...

* Whether or not your AV scans BE service files which can slow down the process...

* Many other considerations not put here.

You need to take that all into account, measure your current performance and see what the results are after loading BE and running it...

Christos_E
Level 2
Partner

Thank you for the response. Probably this is the best thing to do.