cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install Problem with SQL 2000 SP4

Dan_Carmi
Level 3
Hello. I have several clients I am upgrading to 11d, and most have gone smoothly. The one issue I'm running into that I cannot get around is a client that has SQL 2000 currently. When I begin the install, it says that the current DB is not supported and to get 2000 SP3a or later. I have SP4 installed, so I don't see what the problem is, other than a bug in the installation process.

What's the deal here? How can I get around this? Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
Most likely the query to get the SP level of SQL is not returning valid info. The version / SP level is determined two ways...The current version in the registry at HKLM\software\microsoft\mssqlserver\mssqlserver\currentversion\currentversion (8.00.2039 is SP4) is checked. Then Backup Exec queries the build of SQL to determine compatibility. Sometimes this query returns garbage. I've seen cases where the language of SQL is not properly set causing this query issue. The query run to determine build of SQL is xp_msver 'ProductVersion'. and the location for checking for language is HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer\CurrentVersion\Language (data is 1033 for English).

Russ

Dan_Carmi
Level 3
Ok, so I check those registry keys and they are both correct. I have even restarted the SQL services. It still won't work.

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
Did you perform the SQL query? Also, I'm assuming this a full version SQL Server SP4 that you're trying to install the BE DB into.

Russ

Dan_Carmi
Level 3
When I run a query against the server, this is what I get.

SQL Server 8.00.2039 - SP4 (Standard Edition)

Dan_Carmi
Level 3
Any thoughts?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Is it a fresh install of BE v11d or an upgrade over an existing version of Backup exec?

Regards,

Dan_Carmi
Level 3
It's an upgrade over 10d.

Alan_Jones
Level 2
I am having the same problem. I just reinstalled SP4 on all instances of SQL on my SQL 2000 server but with no better results. I am beginning to think my only option is to uninstall BE 10d and do a fresh install of 11d using the the Express SQL local database. I would lose my data though ... it would take awhile to recreate my jobs on the new install but probably no longer than I will spend trying to figure this issue out. If I find a solution I will post it here.

Alan_Jones
Level 2
Dan .. here is what finally worked for me ... my current configuration of 10d uses a named instance on my SQL 2000 server ... I used the BEUtility.exe tool to move the database from my named instance to the "default" (local) SQL instance. Once I did that and started the upgrade again things went (are going) fine. The upgrade has not completed at the moment but I wanted to pass along what appears to be working for me.