cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing BE20102R2 managed media-server in Exchange 2010 SP1 environment

Sverre_Amundsen
Level 4

Hello, I have a question about how and where to install a managed mediaserver on an Exchange 2010 R2 environment.

Reason for this is that today I'm backing up Exchange data using an Exchange Agent and sending the data over TP cable to the backupserver and onto the tapedrive.

The datatransfer is to slow as my Exchange mailboxdatabases is growing fast. So I need to make the Exchange 2010 environment able to send its data straight to the tapedrive using fiber.

I have:

1x Win2k3 sp2 server with BE2010R2 as the primary ADAM server. It is connected to a tape library with fiber.

My Exchange 2010sp1 environment is made up of:

2x Win2k8r2 servers set in an array as CAS/HUB Exchange servers

2x Win2k8r2 enterprice serves as clustered mailbox-database serves.

All these servers can be zoned up to the tape library in order to send large amounts of mailboxdata straight to the tapedrive.

Now i wonder where in the Exchange 2010 environment is it possble to install a managed media server?

Can I just install it on one of the mailboxservers or do I need to install on both of them?

or is it best suited to install on the CAS/HUB server(s)?

Thanks for any answers:)

BR

Sverre A.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you'd need to install BE on each of the cluster nodes in the clusters you want backed up.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV

...running clusters you're going to make this hard on yourself with installing BE. If you don't install it correctly, if the cluster fails over, BE could stay behind and stall backups!

Why not consider installing Server 2008 R2 x64 on the 2003 server that you have (you need BE 2010 R2 installed on a server with Server 2008 X64 as it is), and making that your primary server?

If you have those Exchange servers connected to storage via fibre as well, an option is to then use SAN SSO which will allow you to share your tape library with those servers, and to a LAN-free backup as a result. Be aware that you need to have full versions of BE 2010 R2 installed on any of your Exchange clusters you'd want to use this feature with!

Sverre_Amundsen
Level 4

Yes I have the SAN SSO option license.

And the Exchange environment is connected to a SAN and the tape library.

<quote>If you have those Exchange servers connected to storage via fibre as well, an option is to then use SAN SSO which will allow you to share your tape library with those servers, and to a LAN-free backup as a result. Be aware that you need to have full versions of BE 2010 R2 installed on any of your Exchange clusters you'd want to use this feature with!</quote>

That is exactly what I want to do, but where to install the BE managed media server installation?

Will I have to install one instance on each of the two mailbox-dabase servers...?

And how will they then interact with eachothers DataAvailabilityGroup (DAG) jobs if they are both "stand-alone" managed-mediaservers?

btw, with managed media server I do mean a full installation of BE2010r2, but it will be "a slave" to the primary BE server that has the catalogs and ADAM services.

CraigV

...you'd need to install BE on each of the cluster nodes in the clusters you want backed up.

Sverre_Amundsen
Level 4

thank you :)

You wouldn't happen to have any documentation about deploying a managed mediaserver to would you?